Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,
    I am attending an Electronic Engineering course and I bumped into a though topic: control system.
    Could any of you kindly explain me what it is about?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Control theory is a large area in mathematics that is also used extensively in engineering and some other fields.

You need to be a lot more specific about what your issue is.

ReputationRep:
    So control systems is the art of analysing, modelling, and controlling systems. What this means in practical terms is that when you switch something on, it doesn't immediately switch on i.e. 0 becomes 1, there's a few steps inbetween which complicate the process, for example it may take 1 second for the value to go from 0 to not 0, and before you get a steady value of 1 it might overshoot to 1.5 and you might get oscillations. Control systems is designing a controller to get that value to 1 in an acceptable way given your system and the performance requirements, e.g. your system overshooting to 1.5 might mean it takes lower to settle down to 1 compared to if you only overshot to 1.2, but equally you may get close to 1 slower and you may value a quicker response over a response which doesn't overshoot. A classic example of this is cruise control, if your car goes 1.5x the speed limit, that's a problem. Or your car might not be able to do 1.5x the speed limit, so you have system constraints, which is another problem.

There is also the modelling aspect, where you take some data and use system identification techniques to determine relationships within that data, essentially mathematical models which say, e.g. if I put this much power into a motor, how fast is it going to spin at time t?

You will also find robotics comes under control systems.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.