Electronic Engineering Control System

Watch this thread
SmartMan120
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi All,
I am attending an Electronic Engineering course and I bumped into a though topic: control system.
Could any of you kindly explain me what it is about?
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Control theory is a large area in mathematics that is also used extensively in engineering and some other fields.

You need to be a lot more specific about what your issue is.
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
So control systems is the art of analysing, modelling, and controlling systems. What this means in practical terms is that when you switch something on, it doesn't immediately switch on i.e. 0 becomes 1, there's a few steps inbetween which complicate the process, for example it may take 1 second for the value to go from 0 to not 0, and before you get a steady value of 1 it might overshoot to 1.5 and you might get oscillations. Control systems is designing a controller to get that value to 1 in an acceptable way given your system and the performance requirements, e.g. your system overshooting to 1.5 might mean it takes lower to settle down to 1 compared to if you only overshot to 1.2, but equally you may get close to 1 slower and you may value a quicker response over a response which doesn't overshoot. A classic example of this is cruise control, if your car goes 1.5x the speed limit, that's a problem. Or your car might not be able to do 1.5x the speed limit, so you have system constraints, which is another problem.

There is also the modelling aspect, where you take some data and use system identification techniques to determine relationships within that data, essentially mathematical models which say, e.g. if I put this much power into a motor, how fast is it going to spin at time t?

You will also find robotics comes under control systems.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (19)
21.59%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.5%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.68%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.05%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (19)
21.59%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
21.59%

Watched Threads