Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Triple Science and Mathematics Revision Tips Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for clicking onto this question!

I am currently in year 11 and I would like to gain an insight to (if possible) tried and tested techniques that are effective in order to thrive in the sciences and also maths. Why? For A-Levels I desire to take Chemistry, Biology, and Mathematics, therefore I require at the very least a grade 7 for each.

Of course, I am aiming at the grade 9s and so I come here to ask students who have taken their GCSEs and passed with high grades for advice on studying and revising.

Personally, I am quite wishful (but still not very motivated) but almost never put my head down and work hours on end so I would like advice which may suit my unfortunate attitude and personality.

Many thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    First understand then content, learn it and then test yourself. Practice questions should gradually become the main form of revision especially as your exam draws nearer. The thing about sciences and maths is that there's not really a way to change it up much they still require the same key steps in the answers to get the marks. For science mark schemes for practice questions are specific meaning if you don't use the key words in the mark scheme you won't get the mark. As for maths a similar thing applies as you must show the key steps in your working out that essentially carries more marks than the final answer itself. For this reason just do as many past paper questions as you can from both the old and new specification. This advice is coming from someone who is currently doing biology, chemistry and maths for a levels and it worked for me.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anisa100)
    First understand then content, learn it and then test yourself. Practice questions should gradually become the main form of revision especially as your exam draws nearer. The thing about sciences and maths is that there's not really a way to change it up much they still require the same key steps in the answers to get the marks. For science mark schemes for practice questions are specific meaning if you don't use the key words in the mark scheme you won't get the mark. As for maths a similar thing applies as you must show the key steps in your working out that essentially carries more marks than the final answer itself. For this reason just do as many past paper questions as you can from both the old and new specification. This advice is coming from someone who is currently doing biology, chemistry and maths for a levels and it worked for me.
    Thanks for the advise! I just want to ask in addition, how are you finding the a-levels you picked since they perfectly match what I want to study!?

ReputationRep:
    At first I struggled due to the drastic change but gradually I have gotten better and seem to be on top of my work. A major difference to watch out for when you do a levels is the amount of work you get. Also I didn't use the technique I mentioned above in the beginning but now use regularly to ensure I don't fall behind. One thing I can say for sure is you won't always entirely understand a topic straight away during a levels until after you have completed exam questions because some of them you will look at and wonder how it links in to what you learnt but then once you understand the answer will figure it out.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Get some revision guides with loads of questions in them and just gradually do all the questions. Also just read the entire revision guide once every few days.

ReputationRep:
    Maths is just practice questions. Science is watching videos and understanding (take little notes) and explain it back to yourself. Get a revision guide; do its questions; do past and specimen papers; complete workbook; read guide completely; mygcsescience, etc. More than enough resources imo.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.