Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is 21 too old to go uni and move into halls!!?

I dropped out of uni in September due to a family members health, I’m thinking of going back in September 2018 but being thinking, is 21 too old to go uni and move into student halls and maybe be put with 18 year olds etc. Is anyone else a mature student moving into halls and starting in September 2018???

ReputationRep:
    No way my flatmate last year was 21 and my sister (22) just moved into halls! I also didn't realise one of my friends was 20 when we first started. If you're really concerned you could ask to be placed with mature students but they're normally 26+
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not too old

ReputationRep:
    In the exact same boat here! Except I'll be 23! I'm looking at going to halls when I start next year, I dropped out too due health issues a couple of years ago! I don't think it will be too old at all, heard of people in their late 20's (like 27-29) living in halls so it's not too big a deal!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VinnyRobinson)

I dropped out of uni in September due to a family members health, I’m thinking of going back in September 2018 but being thinking, is 21 too old to go uni and move into student halls and maybe be put with 18 year olds etc. Is anyone else a mature student moving into halls and starting in September 2018???
    there's a midget 32yr old in the same area of accomodation as i am in.

ReputationRep:
    ah right yeah quite common then that people take a few years out so guessing I won’t be the only one moving into halls at 21ish. Alright thanks, I probably won’t asked to be places with mature students but I found last year they tend to put people together that have had gap years etc.

ReputationRep:
    No, it isnt old. I am turning 23 next month and my flat ranges from 18-24.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelofessence)
    In the exact same boat here! Except I'll be 23! I'm looking at going to halls when I start next year, I dropped out too due health issues a couple of years ago! I don't think it will be too old at all, heard of people in their late 20's (like 27-29) living in halls so it's not too big a deal!
    Yeah don’t think it will be a big issue from what I first thought after seeing people comments etc. Yeah my sisters friends didn’t go uni till like 25 but they travelled so was just wondering if got many people moving into halls at like 21
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:

Hey,

I know lots of people who have lived in halls/shared houses with older (and younger) students - they all have got along fine!

And anyway, 21 really isn't old at all. I'm 21 and I've got friends of all different ages and it has never been a problem.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    No that age is fine. Some of my people on my course have people aged 25 in halls. People don't really care about age in uni as long as you're a good person.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:

Hey Vinny,

Definitely don't worry about going into halls at 21. In my first year I stayed with two people who were 20 and one who was 21, but I know people on my course who are much older who stayed in halls too, and that wasn't even for any genuine reason like yours, it was just because they didn't want to go to uni until then. Different ages, especially in your early 20s, genuinely aren't noticeable when you're in a situation like that! Everybody is different in different ways and everybody wants to get along and meet people that they can be great friends with. If anything you'll be the wiser one out of the rest of your flatmates and they might look up to you for that!

Good luck and enjoy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.