Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've had insomnia for over 2 years now. I've tried everything from physical activities to herbal remedies and nothings working. If anyone can give me suggestions it would be greatly appreciated
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same boat, any advice would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    gonna be a long amd seemingly repetative answer but it worked for me and is a genuine technique endosed by therapists amd doctors etc.

Before you go to sleep, sit on the edge of your bed and close your eyes. Tense ad clench all the muscles in your face and head and hold it for about 15 seconds, then slowly release and wait 15 seconds. Then tense and clench all the muscles in your neck and sholders for 15 seconds, then release and wait 15. Do this routine for your chest and upper arms, then lower arms and hands, then stomach, then groin and upper legs, then lower legs, and finally your feet.
    Then do this whole exercise on reverse oeder bak up your body, Do the whole process 2-4 times.
    The exercise releases melatonin (sleep hormone)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the 'type' of insomnia, you might not even have insomnia (say you are not getting 8 hours sleep and you only need 5 etc.)

Do you struggle to fall asleep? (this might be simply you are an 'owl chronotype' trying to fall asleep before you are tired?

Regular nightly awakenings?

Do you wake really early (3/4am say) and cant fall asleep again? This might be anxiety/depression.

ReputationRep:
    my insomnia is really bad too

I've had insomnia for many years. Understand exactly how you feel. I sometimes listen to guided mediation or audio books which helps a bit. For me I've realised it's been because of other mental health problems I've been having and I get into negative cycles. Going camping with friends often helps.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 29, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.