Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Resitting my math and english GCSE at 20... Learning from KS3? watch

ReputationRep:
    As you've not left the rest of the explanation I can only go with the title.

Yes you can learn from KS3, in fact most will presume that you have that knowledge already under your hat before going forward to the GCSEs. Certainly the maths papers I have seen still cover some of the KS3 stuff and in the Higher some of the A level criteria.

It's well worth going over KS3 as you'll have to sit the assessment before being allowed in the class, which means you have to reach level 2 in both the English and Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purdy7)
    As you've not left the rest of the explanation I can only go with the title.

Yes you can learn from KS3, in fact most will presume that you have that knowledge already under your hat before going forward to the GCSEs. Certainly the maths papers I have seen still cover some of the KS3 stuff and in the Higher some of the A level criteria.

It's well worth going over KS3 as you'll have to sit the assessment before being allowed in the class, which means you have to reach level 2 in both the English and Maths.
    Thanks for the info, will definitely keep this in mind...

Oh, not sure what happened there as I did post an explanation!
    Luckily I had an old tab open with it:

Math has always been a subject thats flawed me due to horrible experiences at school, until now it hasnt bothered me but over the last year Ive decided to re-sit my GCSEs.

I've been using Khan Academy on and off and working my way up from Early Math. Im currently on Grade 5 and getting the hang of fractions, theres lots of stuff past here that I already know well, but I want to make sure Ive got a solid foundation before moving forward.

My intention is to stop at Grade 8 on Khan Academy and buy some CGP GCSE Math books along with revising on Bitesize. Would this be enough for a grade C GCSE?

As far as my English goes, Im just revising on Bitesize on KS3 for a refresher and writing stuff down from memory and taking in as much as I can.

What are my chances of getting a C when I resit? Im putting in at least 2 hours of study every day (on a 14 day streak atm!) so far and Im planning to increase that too. Id like to use my grades to get on to an access course for healthcare so I can start a career within the NHS.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks a lot.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.