Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm applying for teacher training and will need student finance. I'm under 25 but not dependent on parents as I live away from home with my partner (this situation isn't addressed on the SFE website, it just refers to people who are under 25 & dependent on parents OR over 25).
    My household income (me+ my partner) is 47k atm but I will have to leave my 25k job BEFORE I start my course. Will my maintenance loan be based on the income we had the year before, even though we will have less than half of that income whilst I study?
    Is there any way to get around that?
    Will my loan be based on mine and my parenters income since I'm not dependent on parents even though I'm under 25?

Thanks
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayulls)
    Hi,

I'm applying for teacher training and will need student finance. I'm under 25 but not dependent on parents as I live away from home with my partner (this situation isn't addressed on the SFE website, it just refers to people who are under 25 & dependent on parents OR over 25).
    My household income (me+ my partner) is 47k atm but I will have to leave my 25k job BEFORE I start my course. Will my maintenance loan be based on the income we had the year before, even though we will have less than half of that income whilst I study?
    Is there any way to get around that?
    Will my loan be based on mine and my parenters income since I'm not dependent on parents even though I'm under 25?

Thanks
    Hi Hayulls,

If you are under 25 years old at the start of the academic year, regardless of your living situation, you would normally be classed as dependent on your parents.

You would be assessed as independent though, if you are under 25 and married/divorced or have care of a child.

Alternatively, if you are married or in a civil partnership, have no living parents or are irreconcilably estranged from your parents, you can be assessed as independent.

Other students that would be classed as independent may have been the subject of a care order or cannot find their parents or it's not reasonably practical to get in touch with them.

A student can also be considered independent if they supported themselves financially for at least three years prior to the start of study. The three years can include periods when they were:

• In paid full-time employment
    • In receipt of Income Support, JSA or other state benefits paid to a person who is registered as unemployed
    • In receipt of incapacity benefits, invalidity pension or maternity allowance
    • Receiving training under any scheme for the unemployed or other funding by any state authority or agency

The three years of self support do not need to be consecutive. However they do need to cover 3 years prior to the start of study.

If you are under 25 years old and not married, we would not look at your partners income, if accepted as independant we would assess you on your income.

We do not ask for your income, as only unearned student income asked for and as a full time student we don't take income from part time jobs etc into account, you would receive the maximum support.

If you do not meet any of the above criteria to be assessed as independant, in order to be assessed for the higher amount of loan, then we would require your parents to support your application.

You would then be assessed on their income at the higher, living elsewhere/own home rate.

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rona SFE)
    Hi Hayulls,

If you are under 25 years old at the start of the academic year, regardless of your living situation, you would normally be classed as dependent on your parents.

You would be assessed as independent though, if you are under 25 and married/divorced or have care of a child.

Alternatively, if you are married or in a civil partnership, have no living parents or are irreconcilably estranged from your parents, you can be assessed as independent.

Other students that would be classed as independent may have been the subject of a care order or cannot find their parents or it's not reasonably practical to get in touch with them.

A student can also be considered independent if they supported themselves financially for at least three years prior to the start of study. The three years can include periods when they were:

• In paid full-time employment
    • In receipt of Income Support, JSA or other state benefits paid to a person who is registered as unemployed
    • In receipt of incapacity benefits, invalidity pension or maternity allowance
    • Receiving training under any scheme for the unemployed or other funding by any state authority or agency

The three years of self support do not need to be consecutive. However they do need to cover 3 years prior to the start of study.

If you are under 25 years old and not married, we would not look at your partners income, if accepted as independant we would assess you on your income.

We do not ask for your income, as only unearned student income asked for and as a full time student we don't take income from part time jobs etc into account, you would receive the maximum support.

If you do not meet any of the above criteria to be assessed as independant, in order to be assessed for the higher amount of loan, then we would require your parents to support your application.

You would then be assessed on their income at the higher, living elsewhere/own home rate.

Thanks Rona
    Hi Rona,

So, despite receiving NO money whatsoever from my parents, not living with them, & not getting any help from them at all i have to enter their income?

Just to be clear - if I do this, I don't count my own income from the previous year, I only count my parents income from the previous year?

Thanks,

H
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayulls)
    Hi Rona,

So, despite receiving NO money whatsoever from my parents, not living with them, & not getting any help from them at all i have to enter their income?

Just to be clear - if I do this, I don't count my own income from the previous year, I only count my parents income from the previous year?

Thanks,

H
    Hi Hayulls,

If we can't assess you as Independent it would be your parents' taxable income we would require. We wouldn't ask for your earned income details.

If you are making a 2017/18 application we would require their figures from tax year 2015/16. And if it's a 2018/19 application the tax year required would be 2016/17.

Regards,

Stuart

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.