ReputationRep:
    How to write a personal statement for biological science AND human biology
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaur00)
    How to write a personal statement for biological science AND human biology
    Hi kaur00

What part of it are you struggling with in particular, is it just making it relevant to both subjects?

As your courses are both biology related, I would try and make everything you put in relevant to both of the courses and make sure you include both of the courses in some way. It may seem strange that you are writing about a human biology course in the same application for biological science, but universities understand that students apply for a range of courses.

With this you could also explicitly say why you have chosen these two different courses, and how you would benefit from them, and explain each of them individually, universities will really appreciate your honesty.

If you're still really struggling with putting the personal statement together, see if the universities have any personal statement writing tips on their websites, or even contact their admissions teams or a contact from the department and let them know your concern - they'll be able to advise you much more specifically about what they're looking for, and how you can include both courses.

I hope this helps in some way! What universities are you applying to by the way? It would be great to know how you're application is progressing.

Thanks
    Matt - NTU PG TSR Rep

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for this!

However, I really can’t make up my mind. My strong point is science and I love it, but really dislike practicals. The thing with a degree in Biological Science or Human Biology is that the job options afterwards are limited and little pay.
    I’m now thinking of going into Finance, yet I have no work experience related to it. The jobs afterwards are great though!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for this!

However, I really can’t make up my mind. My strong point is science and I love it, but really dislike practicals. The thing with a degree in Biological Science or Human Biology is that the job options afterwards are limited and little pay.
    I’m now thinking of going into Finance, yet I have no work experience related to it. The jobs afterwards are great though!
    If I were you, I'd take a bit of time to get some experience in finance but also jobs related to the science subjects you are thinking about, even if that means taking a year out before going to university. It's better to go later, with a strong desire to do something and with an end-goal of a job you actually want to do, then spend so much money going to university, maybe hating it, and then dropping out. I imagine the science subjects will have quite a bit of practical stuff too.

Having said that, even if you did the science degrees, there's nothing stopping you going into a job that is very vaguely related to science. A lot of employers only care that you've got a degree because it shows you've worked hard and have the skills needed to commit to something and get things done. Even with a science degree, you might end up in something financial...

ReputationRep:
    Okay thank you.

Quick question: is Biomedical Science really that lab-intensive?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Okay thank you.

Quick question: is Biomedical Science really that lab-intensive?
    You'd be better off asking about the courses here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=631

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.