Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm not particularly keen on the idea of NCS as i've heard quite a few bad reviews and annoyingly although i wanted to do D of E at the time I didn't because I didn't realise that uni's love it. So would a summer school maybe make up for this? And also can people recommend ones, i know oxford do one but not so sure i'll get accepted. It isn't necessarily for this year I just want a general idea really
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyyytaylorr)
    I'm not particularly keen on the idea of NCS as i've heard quite a few bad reviews and annoyingly although i wanted to do D of E at the time I didn't because I didn't realise that uni's love it. So would a summer school maybe make up for this? And also can people recommend ones, i know oxford do one but not so sure i'll get accepted. It isn't necessarily for this year I just want a general idea really
    Universities don't love DofE - that's a lie that DofE and schools spread to encourage students to take part.

Summer schools are usually much better - they're relevant to the subjects you're applying to, give you insight into university life and often mean you're making a more informed decision about what and where to apply.

What subjects are you interested in studying? There's a variety of summer schools available - some are free, some will be quite low costs and some will not be subsidised at all (so you'd be looking at ~£1k per week on average for the course and living costs)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Universities don't love DofE - that's a lie that DofE and schools spread to encourage students to take part.

Summer schools are usually much better - they're relevant to the subjects you're applying to, give you insight into university life and often mean you're making a more informed decision about what and where to apply.

What subjects are you interested in studying? There's a variety of summer schools available - some are free, some will be quite low costs and some will not be subsidised at all (so you'd be looking at ~£1k per week on average for the course and living costs)
    I'm hoping to study medicine, there was one at Oxford I think which was completely based on medicine but was something like £4k and although great opportunity, I wouldn't want my family to have to pay that
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to study medicine, there was one at Oxford I think which was completely based on medicine but was something like £4k and although great opportunity, I wouldn't want my family to have to pay that
    For medicine you would be better off putting your efforts into getting work experience and shadowing so that you can write a personal statement that shows an understanding of the career.

There are summer schools available (https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/courses-...-medicine.aspx https://www.uniq.ox.ac.uk/content/medicine https://www.ucl.ac.uk/target-medicine/summer ) but they're generally less useful than working in a care environment.

ReputationRep:
    Things like DofE and TenTors and stuff like that are thought to be "valued by universities" only because they profit off young people who are under this illusion. Not to say that they are not good/fun things to do, but you're not a better candidate just because you've lugged a massive bag around rough terrain for a couple of days. To say that doing it "shows you are determined to do well" is honestly just BS. Not to mention that not everyone can afford £800 or so, which makes it exclusive.

Summer schools are great on the other hand and they are actually relevant in most cases. The best ones are often free (uniq for oxford, sutton, etc although these are quite popular and are given access to based on socioeconomic background data), but there are some great pay-to-participate ones too. Headstart STEM ones come to mind.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/teach...great-western/

ReputationRep:
    Steer clear of those private companies for sure, definitely not worth it. There are free ones though - they won't give you any direct advantage, but they are useful experiences worth applying for.

ReputationRep:
    A Headstart engineering course is a good summer school for if you want to go into a science related subject, also unis don't love DofE

ReputationRep:
    The QMUL course was really good, defo apply, although it's longed out a bit as its over two weeks. I also went to the carpediem scholars course which was excellent and pretty intense over a weekend, defo worth it. Just apply to as many as possible

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.