Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do Actuarial Science Firms have target universities ? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am planning to go to Leicester University to study mathematics and Actuarial Science, but I also plan to apply to LSE. I prefer the course at Leicester and the city scene, but I don’t want to be put at a great disadvantage by going there. I aim to achieve A*A*AA. Any advice on whether this will hurt my graduate opportunities?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leks)
    I am planning to go to Leicester University to study mathematics and Actuarial Science, but I also plan to apply to LSE. I prefer the course at Leicester and the city scene, but I don’t want to be put at a great disadvantage by going there. I aim to achieve A*A*AA. Any advice on whether this will hurt my graduate opportunities?
    The university you attended is not taken into consideration. Actuarial firms take in great consideration your work experience, skills and grades you've achieved at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Would doing a year in the industry, hence allowing me to have some experience out of university, be worth the extra year spent at university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leks)
    Would doing a year in the industry, hence allowing me to have some experience out of university, be worth the extra year spent at university?
    It is very valuable and will give you a years worth of experience.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    It is very valuable and will give you a years worth of experience.
    Is there a place for actuaries or for people who aim to become Actuaries?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leks)
    Is there a place for actuaries or for people who aim to become Actuaries?
    What do you mean? A forum for Actuaries and such?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    What do you mean? A forum for Actuaries and such?
    Yeah. Also do you know any active actuaries on this platform

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.