Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Steps to Cambridge Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I’m 15 and I’ve always wanted to go to Cambridge, to study history and French. Does anyone have any tips to prepare myself for it and to make it more likely to get in?
    Also does anyone know of any summer schools that you can attend as a private school student? As the main Sutton trust summer school only wants state school students, even though I satisfy most of their other criteria (I’d be the first generation of my family to go to university, I live in an area with a low higher education rate and a low socio economic status) and I attend my school on a full bursary and a scholarship, awarded after an entrance exam.
    Thank you.
    (I don’t know if I’ve posted this in the right forum)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    You need to have very high grades at both GCSE and A-Level. For GCSE's achieving A*s and A's will put you at a greater chance of being considered for Cambridge. For A-Level, having minimum 3 A Levels and an AS or 4 A Levels at high grades will help. Most Oxbridge applicants apply with AAA or above and the more A* grades the more likely they are to receive an interview.

However, it is not only about grades. A vast range of extra curricular activities is also important. These are not limited to but can include; sports teams, volunteering, positions at school such as head girl/boy, captains of sports teams, clubs etc.

The universities are looking for diverse, well-rounded applicants who show more than just an interest for their chosen subject. Show this by attending lectures/talks in your area, reading around the subject and maybe blogging about your academic interests.

When applying, an extremely strong personal statement and reference is required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h.findlay321)
    You need to have very high grades at both GCSE and A-Level. For GCSE's achieving A*s and A's will put you at a greater chance of being considered for Cambridge. For A-Level, having minimum 3 A Levels and an AS or 4 A Levels at high grades will help. Most Oxbridge applicants apply with AAA or above and the more A* grades the more likely they are to receive an interview.

However, it is not only about grades. A vast range of extra curricular activities is also important. These are not limited to but can include; sports teams, volunteering, positions at school such as head girl/boy, captains of sports teams, clubs etc.

The universities are looking for diverse, well-rounded applicants who show more than just an interest for their chosen subject. Show this by attending lectures/talks in your area, reading around the subject and maybe blogging about your academic interests.

When applying, an extremely strong personal statement and reference is required.
    Thank you! This is all very, very helpful. Do you have any tips for starting a blog on your academic interests?

ReputationRep:
    Realistically what you need for Cambridge (but there are exceptions):
    1. 5-6A* - GCSE
    2. AAAA-AAAB/AAA-AAB - If you still do AS
    3. 1-4* - A Level
    4. Good personal statement/references
    5. Good admissions test
    6. Great interview

By the way, ignore the bad advice from the person about extra-curricular, the best universities really don't care about this. All they care about is how much wider reading you've done and how interested you are in your course. This is directly from the Cambridge website:

Our admissions decisions are based on academic criteria (ability and potential) and so we expect to see evidence of your ‘super-curricular’ activities – your wider engagements with the area(s) of academic interest, such as reading and other explorations relevant to the course you’ve applied for. Your participation (or not) in specific extra-curricular activities that aren’t relevant to the course applied for are not taken into account and don’t affect your chances of being made an offer of a place at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    'Realistically what you need for Cambridge (but there are exceptions):
    1. 5-6A* - GCSE
    2. AAAA-AAAB/AAA-AAB - If you still do AS
    3. 2-3A* - A Level

By the way, ignore the bad advice from the person about extra-curricular, the best universities really don't care about this. All they care about is how much wider reading you've done and how interested you are in your course. This is directly from the Cambridge website:

Our admissions decisions are based on academic criteria (ability and potential) and so we expect to see evidence you your ‘super-curricular’ activities – your wider engagements with the area(s) of academic interest, such as reading and other explorations relevant to the course you’ve applied for. Your participation (or not) in specific extra-curricular activities that aren’t relevant to the course applied for are not taken into account and don’t affect your chances of being made an offer of a place at Cambridge.
    Thank you. Yes, I’ve read about ‘super-curricular’ activities and am definitely going to look into some lectures near where I live. Any other tips?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.