Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have offers from Warwick, Bristol and Exeter (all require AAA)
    Have applied to LSE and Durham, waiting to hear back from them. they're my top two choices.

I have heard really negative things about LSE such as this thread which has really put me off. ( https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4273688 ). Although I'm aware the reputation is incredible, I'm worried I would hate it there, and I do want to enjoy myself.

This would suggest then that Durham should be my top choice, but does anyone know why the entry standards are only AAB? Why is it so low? Does that mean that a Finance degree from Durham is not as reputable? I am much more confident about having fun at Durham, and I know it's incredible overall, but if i went there would it hinder my chances at getting an internship at one of the big banks in london because its so far away/their business school is not as highly regarded?

And also, I know Warwick BS is well regarded, but I couldn't help but feel that it would be slightly boring there, albeit friendly.

So I guess the overall questions are about those three unis, is Durham not good enough for Finance because it's entry is so low? and would LSE really be an awful experience?

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak for other unis but I can say that LSE is what you make of it. Because there are a ton of societies and not all of them are active/good for making friends. Also, London's large and there's so much to do. Unless you put yourself out there and make friends, it won't happen automatically in an isolated uni such as Warwick. Nevertheless, the school also has a good party scene, especially when you live in halls the first year and make close friends whom you can go out with.

The LSE syllabus is academically challenging. You'll spend a lot of time on studying, and end up never using half the stuff anyway. The reason for the fuss about LSE is the sheer number of career opportunities available. Most of the big banks visit us or hold networking events in London, which makes it easier for you to stand out in application as you get to speak to people who actually work there. Apart from that, there's no special LSE magic bullet.

source: Current LSE 2nd year, feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CityofMud)
    I can't speak for other unis but I can say that LSE is what you make of it. Because there are a ton of societies and not all of them are active/good for making friends. Also, London's large and there's so much to do. Unless you put yourself out there and make friends, it won't happen automatically in an isolated uni such as Warwick. Nevertheless, the school also has a good party scene, especially when you live in halls the first year and make close friends whom you can go out with.

The LSE syllabus is academically challenging. You'll spend a lot of time on studying, and end up never using half the stuff anyway. The reason for the fuss about LSE is the sheer number of career opportunities available. Most of the big banks visit us or hold networking events in London, which makes it easier for you to stand out in application as you get to speak to people who actually work there. Apart from that, there's no special LSE magic bullet.

source: Current LSE 2nd year, feel free to PM me if you have more questions.
    Thanks for your response. How has it been making friends there? In the thread I linked, the guy talked about how "the Chinese are cliquey" and "don't interact at all", do you think this is true?

I've heard the societies are quite underwhelming at LSE, but the academic side of it is pretty much unmatchable. I'm just concerned that all my friends are going to go off to Oxbridge/Bristol/Durham/ wherever, have a really good time and I would be jealous by perhaps not having fun at LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgeyd7)
    Thanks for your response. How has it been making friends there? In the thread I linked, the guy talked about how "the Chinese are cliquey" and "don't interact at all", do you think this is true?

I've heard the societies are quite underwhelming at LSE, but the academic side of it is pretty much unmatchable. I'm just concerned that all my friends are going to go off to Oxbridge/Bristol/Durham/ wherever, have a really good time and I would be jealous by perhaps not having fun at LSE.

A lot of them are, because their English is terrible, but there are plenty of nice ones and non-Chinese so I don't see why this is an issue. Societies vary; there are quite a few good ones and a great number of underwhelming ones, so you have to make sure that you don't join something dead like the Beekeeping Society, for instance. Sports clubs have a great social scene and are very active. Make sure you go to all the trial sessions for clubs and talk to seniors before committing to anything.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.