Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Young offenders 'should have social media monitored' Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Young people at risk of being involved in crime should have their social media profiles monitored by youth workers, according to a probation watchdog report, which the Youth Justice Board has said it will consider.

HM Inspectorate of Probation examined 115 cases and found that a quarter of the crimes were "directly related" to a young person's use of social media, with its chief inspector stating that social media was being used "to both incite and plan crime".

You can read the full article here, which discusses the report and its findings in more detail, but what is your stance on this issue? Do you agree that young offenders should have their social media monitored, or should they be entitled to their privacy?

ReputationRep:
    Interesting question. Although, in the case mentioned above, those young people had not previously committed an offence, they were merely at risk of doing so. Therefore it would be difficult to justify monitoring of social media as they are innocent individuals.

Surely focusing on their social environments, parental behaviour and upbringing and other risk factors would have a much larger impact on far more young people, especially when the small sample of this study is considered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Young people at risk of being involved in crime should have their social media profiles monitored by youth workers, according to a probation watchdog report, which the Youth Justice Board has said it will consider.

HM Inspectorate of Probation examined 115 cases and found that a quarter of the crimes were "directly related" to a young person's use of social media, with its chief inspector stating that social media was being used "to both incite and plan crime".

You can read the full article here, which discusses the report and its findings in more detail, but what is your stance on this issue? Do you agree that young offenders should have their social media monitored, or should they be entitled to their privacy?
    Pointless, they can use a fake name on their social media to avoid this.

ReputationRep:
    Protip: If you want to monitor someone don't tell them you will be monitored
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    If they did it wouldn't work.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    Pointless, they can use a fake name on their social media to avoid this.
    And if you've got a common name and don't have your profile picture as you, how do they know which one is you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    And if you've got a common name and don't have your profile picture as you, how do they know which one is you?
    Exactly. I don't think this 'HM Inspectorate of Probation' knows how social media works.

ReputationRep:
    Fine by me.

ReputationRep:
    Certainly a intersting idea but it probably wouldn't come about. I mean, we don't get all the freeze peaches but I'm sure somebody will kick up a fuss about this.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The example which perhaps first brought this subject to light is the 2011 riots. The idea began on social media and developed into something quite scary. A lot of young people were involved as I recall, though I won't comment on the media coverage.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    The slide to this thread is misleading. It said "Young people" on there and it says "Young offenders" on here.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Water)
    The slide to this thread is misleading. It said "Young people" on there and it says "Young offenders" on here.
    The title is taken directly from the news article, I'm not sure why it differs from the content!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    The title is taken directly from the news article, I'm not sure why it differs from the content!
    Hmm...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Water)
    Hmm...
    You can have a look at the linked BBC Article if you don't believe me
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    You can have a look at the linked BBC Article if you don't believe me
    Don't worry I believe you. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    No. Respect people's privacy. Everyone's at risk of committing an offence if we were monitored every day.

ReputationRep:
    i had mine monitored when I was on probation, they'd ask to see my phone and that and during my investigation they tapped my pc so I just deleted every app and social media account

ReputationRep:
    Won't work in practice anyway

ReputationRep:
    lol it wont work with the pc generations

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.