Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Being in the Closet is now affecting school Watch

ReputationRep:
    I need to get some things off my chest.
    Only a few people know that I am gay. Being mostly closeted is really affecting my school performance, giving me anxiety, making me feel down and ruining my relationship with my parents, My dad can be homophobic and I am worried about how they would react if I came out. Does anyone have some advice on how to cope? I cannot concentrate at school, or on homework and don't really have anyone to rely on, The head of year says that I can speak to her, but doing so makes me feel really uncomfortable.

ReputationRep:
    Have you got a learning or progress coordinator at your school? They will be able to provide personal advice to you. I would recommend joining some LGBTQ support pages online and perhaps see if there is the possibility of starting a group up at school. Equality and diversity groups are popular and a great club to start if you don’t have one- this will allow you to meet loads of people who want to raise equality and diversity within your school and help you raise confidence in approaching how to tell your parents! Good luck, please message me if you would like somebody to talk to x
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe2001)
    I need to get some things off my chest.
    Only a few people know that I am gay. Being mostly closeted is really affecting my school performance, giving me anxiety, making me feel down and ruining my relationship with my parents, My dad can be homophobic and I am worried about how they would react if I came out. Does anyone have some advice on how to cope? I cannot concentrate at school, or on homework and don't really have anyone to rely on, The head of year says that I can speak to her, but doing so makes me feel really uncomfortable.
    I think you should just tell your parents (if your dad isn't the violent type, that is). It will make you feel better, and they are bound to find out anyway.

ReputationRep:
    At lunch today, a guy told me that I should use Vaseline for anal. That was an awkward moment, do you think he somehow knows that I am gay?

ReputationRep:
    he's probably just making a stupid joke like most Straight guys do and hey I know your pain, My mum is an orthodox Catholic that can't just help but show disgust whenever she sees guys kiss on TV and my dad is from Iran, where you can get executed for being gay but hey.. I realised that if they love me then they wouldn't care whatever I was. If they don't love me if I tell them then they aren't worth it. Told my sister and she was cool with it and yeah, friends at school can be total Jackasses but what can ya do? xD
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.