Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Apart from hospital placements and GP placements, what else could I do thats not exactly clinical but would still benefit me in my application?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Try care homes, volunteering for charities (inc charity shops e.g. Cancer research), fundraising for charities, even maybe tutoring kids (as it shows good leadership and that you can explain things simply- which you can apply to the medical field).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Halima.xo)
    Apart from hospital placements and GP placements, what else could I do thats not exactly clinical but would still benefit me in my application?
    You could also just talk to doctors/nurses, and get a feel for a role in a gp or hospital

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N/A IS THE NAME)
    Try care homes, volunteering for charities (inc charity shops e.g. Cancer research), fundraising for charities, even maybe tutoring kids (as it shows good leadership and that you can explain things simply- which you can apply to the medical field).
    Thanks! I’ll definitely consider some of these

ReputationRep:
    Even things like a part time job working with the public (shows communication skills), any team sports (shows you can work in a team), individual sports (shows determination), or anything else that you can spin to talk about the skills you have developed. Volunteering in a hospice/ shadowing a doctor is pretty important, even if only for 1 week, as most medical schools will look for some sort of clinical experience, alongside the other skills you can show in other ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IssyCon)
    Even things like a part time job working with the public (shows communication skills), any team sports (shows you can work in a team), individual sports (shoes determination), or anything else that you can spin to talk about the skills you have developed. Volunteering in a hospice/ shadowing a doctor is pretty important, even if only for 1 week, as most medical schools will look for some sort of clinical experience, alongside the other skills you can show in other ways.
    Yh true. Also some medical schools dont require any work experience. I think going to lectures, watching documentaries and reading about current affairs are also just as important- so you can speak about them in interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N/A IS THE NAME)
    Yh true. Also some medical schools dont require any work experience. I think going to lectures, watching documentaries and reading about current affairs are also just as important- so you can speak about them in interviews.
    I do watch a lot of medical documentaries because I find them really interesting so I guess that’s a start lol

ReputationRep:
    Yeah like that Hospice Care charity shop in Hatfield Road I said I wanted to work in, plus tutoring

ReputationRep:
    You could also try asking Doggie, I mean I’m sure she’ll be of help 😁

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dxna.s)
    You could also try asking Doggie, I mean I’m sure she’ll be of help 😁
    Go away 😂

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.