Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello! Looking into doing midwifery at uni September next year but I need to do an access course first. Now I know they are a year long but if I blast through a load of coursework now and get ahead can I still finish it in time? Or do I actually have to be on the course for a year no matter how long the work takes me?
    I don’t even know if this post makes sense I’m sorry 🙈 new to this
    Thank you!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Dawsey)
    Hello! Looking into doing midwifery at uni September next year but I need to do an access course first. Now I know they are a year long but if I blast through a load of coursework now and get ahead can I still finish it in time? Or do I actually have to be on the course for a year no matter how long the work takes me?
    I don’t even know if this post makes sense I’m sorry 🙈 new to this
    Thank you!
    Do you actually have a place on a course at a college or are you talking distance learning? If you are at college then talk to them.

Do you have the experience they require?

If you are doing distance learning then you cna go at your own pace, but ask your provider. You may also find you get little support and you struggle to make sure the quality of your work matches whats needed to gain entry.

If you arent used to studying then id suggest going to an actual college and getting used to classes plus having the support of a teacher.

http://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Access/F...s/Default.aspx

Access courses arent cheap and its going to be no good if you dont get the right level of distinctions and merits. You might find the work a little more challenging than you are used to.

Make sure you arent trying to rush as missing 2 months is a lot from such a short course. Doable, but it depends on other factors, You should follow the path that gives you the best chance of success.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I started my Access Course midway through September and my sights were initially on a 2019 entry to Uni however I was encouraged by many to knuckle down and try and make it for 2018, which is now my goal.

I can tell you that from the content, if you REALLY dedicated all of your spare time, including days off to it, I think that it could be doable (you need to have your work completed by May to make the September Uni intake) but it would be very intense. My timetable has me completing 3 Credits every week. This is around 1500 words of essay-specific writing, not including the other questions posed as part of the module or the research, planning, drafting. When you also factor in that you need to do your personal statement (I probably have spent more time on this than any topic so far!) it will be a lot of work. For me to do 3 credits a week, I probably work 6pm-10pm at least twice a week and generally one full day off (10am - 10pm) to get everything done to a Distinction standard.

If I was a realist? I'd have made my decision by the end of October and enrolled (if you want the Sept 2018 Uni intake). This however would need you to sacrifice all of your free time to make the deadlines.

Most importantly though - this is your choice! Only you know how much you want something and your capabilities. If your heart is in it and you want it enough, you'll make it happen. On the other side, there is no rush, were all getting older at the same rate and in the grand scheme of things, a year will probably whizz by

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.