Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mental health sees 300,000 people leave their jobs each year Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    A report commissioned by Theresa May showed that up to 300,000 people with long-term mental health problems have to leave their jobs each year, with a cost to the economy of up to £99bn over the same period.

The Thriving at Work report outlined that mental health is still a taboo at work, and that more should be done to support those suffering, with suggestions to employers including to encourage open conversation, provide good working conditions, and to routinely monitor employee mental health.

You can read the full article here, but what's your stance on this? Should employers do more to support their employees mental health? If you're in work yourself, does your company do enough around mental health?

I'm surprised Theresa May didn't retract this report for the Wrong findings!
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      This report doesn't surprise me though there is still a lot of stigma against mental health problems and a lot of people still seem to have the idea that people with them just need to pull themselves together. I found out today that in the UK only around 8% of people with schizophrenia are employed so while it sounds pretty bad that 300,000 people lose their jobs each year an even bigger number don't even have jobs to begin with. The costs associated with this are huge, I think it's good it's being addressed by the Conservatives.

On a personal level, I have no idea about my company's mental health policy, it's not something I would feel comfortable discussing with my employer. Something I am finding difficult is juggling my job with my psychiatrist and psychologist appointments. I think for many of those 300,000 people they may have similar problems. Community psychiatrists don't do evening or weekend appointments so people have to go during work and, on the NHS especially, it can be hard to schedule these so they don't interfere too much. I know my boss is starting to get irritated with me having frequent appointments.

ReputationRep:
      Doesn’t surprise me at all mental illness rates are rapidly rising and have been for a long time now.

Getting rid of stigma helps, but what we really need are comprehensive services for mental health and instant access to them.

That’s without talking about what business can do and the appalling progress in creating new treatments
      Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.