Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Learndirect contracts cancelled by department of education Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm new here, just signed up to share this and maybe get some advice too!
    I'm planning on going to university next year and was planning on doing an online access course with Learndirect (humanities and social science). I just finished applying last night and was going to call back the support today (I missed their call this morning) but decided to do some last minute research and came across a bunch of news stories from August of this year about learndirect. Here's just one of them:

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ts-and-funding

It's taken me a long time to finally decide to do an access course and go to university and I was pretty set on doing it with learndirect (I have applied and wanted to get the ball rolling as soon as possible to be able to attend university in september) but now i'm having doubts as it looks like the company could be facing a lot of issues or even closing.

So yeah, just after a bit of feedback really!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EliotMichael)
    Hey, I'm new here, just signed up to share this and maybe get some advice too!
    I'm planning on going to university next year and was planning on doing an online access course with Learndirect (humanities and social science). I just finished applying last night and was going to call back the support today (I missed their call this morning) but decided to do some last minute research and came across a bunch of news stories from August of this year about learndirect. Here's just one of them:

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ts-and-funding

It's taken me a long time to finally decide to do an access course and go to university and I was pretty set on doing it with learndirect (I have applied and wanted to get the ball rolling as soon as possible to be able to attend university in september) but now i'm having doubts as it looks like the company could be facing a lot of issues or even closing.

So yeah, just after a bit of feedback really!
    I've posted a fair bit in this forum about the issues facing people like us who are looking to complete a distance access course. There really isn't much to go on in terms of reviews that make it an easy choice to pick!

I would say - you just have to do as much research as you can. I did mine and I ended up taking the plunge with another company (I wont mention them to save bias). I can tell you that all of my fears have been allayed and I have been extremely satisfied with the service they have provided so far.

If you would like some further details, shoot me a PM and I can let you know of my experience so far etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCDCo)
    I've posted a fair bit in this forum about the issues facing people like us who are looking to complete a distance access course. There really isn't much to go on in terms of reviews that make it an easy choice to pick!

I would say - you just have to do as much research as you can. I did mine and I ended up taking the plunge with another company (I wont mention them to save bias). I can tell you that all of my fears have been allayed and I have been extremely satisfied with the service they have provided so far.

If you would like some further details, shoot me a PM and I can let you know of my experience so far etc
    Thankyou for the reply! Yeah I did a ton of research into multiple choices and thought this was the best one until I happened upon the news articles explaining they got the lowest oftsted rating and might be shutting down! I just couldn't believe I only just discovered it.
    I'm going to call them today to get to the bottom of it and then make my decision

ReputationRep:
    I am currently doing my access course with Learndirect they assured us that the problem was with the apprenticeships they offer and that the access courses would be unaffected
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.