Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I would like to know what are the best cities to be a journalism student in? I have already looked into some unis like Portsmouth, Sheffield and Nottingham Trent; I would prefer a course accredited by NCTJ and there's none in London. I am a foreign student so I don't know if my choices so far are good, because I don't know if a lot of events are in the cities mentioned already. Thanks for the help! x
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by eemilia)
    Hi! I would like to know what are the best cities to be a journalism student in? I have already looked into some unis like Portsmouth, Sheffield and Nottingham Trent; I would prefer a course accredited by NCTJ and there's none in London. I am a foreign student so I don't know if my choices so far are good, because I don't know if a lot of events are in the cities mentioned already. Thanks for the help! x
    Hi eemilia

Great news you're thinking about Nottingham Trent. What course are you looking at doing?

NTU offers either Broadcast (BJTC accredited) or Print (NCTJ accredited). I studied Broadcast at NTU for my undergraduate degree and the practical elements of the course are very good - producing news stories to real deadlines in newsdays, getting out in the city and interviewing the public and getting training for a range of tech and softwares like Adobe suite, cameras, even learning short hand if you take print.

If you're unsure about which city, have a look at the course content for all of your options so far, and compare which one you think you would gain the most from as there are bound to be differences between them.

If you have any specific questions let me know and I'll try and help!

Matt - NTU PG TSR Rep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Postgraduate study at NTU)
    Hi eemilia

Great news you're thinking about Nottingham Trent. What course are you looking at doing?

NTU offers either Broadcast (BJTC accredited) or Print (NCTJ accredited). I studied Broadcast at NTU for my undergraduate degree and the practical elements of the course are very good - producing news stories to real deadlines in newsdays, getting out in the city and interviewing the public and getting training for a range of tech and softwares like Adobe suite, cameras, even learning short hand if you take print.

If you're unsure about which city, have a look at the course content for all of your options so far, and compare which one you think you would gain the most from as there are bound to be differences between them.

If you have any specific questions let me know and I'll try and help!

Matt - NTU PG TSR Rep
    Hey Matt

I am looking into the Journalism (BA) course

Thanks for the advice and help!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hey Matt

I am looking into the Journalism (BA) course

Thanks for the advice and help!
    Great to hear eemilia!

Best of luck with your application, let me know how you get on.

Matt

ReputationRep:
    Great to hear eemilia!

Best of luck with your application, let me know how you get on.

Matt
    Hi Matt

I received a conditional offer from NTU and I just have a couple of questions about the opportunities that are available.

I had a look at societies and I couldn't spot any journalism-related one so I am wondering if there are available talks made by people from the industry, things like field trips or any other type of important activities outside of the course that help you make contacts in the industry and give you the chance to stand out.

Also, how do you find the lecturers? Do you feel like they give honest feedback on students' work? Are they responsive to students needing advice? I was told that usually at uni professors can be quite a pain and you have to press them loads in order to get help/feedback so obviously that concerns me.

What about the city? Do you reckon that there are stories to pitch? Is it a lively one?

Emilia
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Matt

I received a conditional offer from NTU and I just have a couple of questions about the opportunities that are available.

I had a look at societies and I couldn't spot any journalism-related one so I am wondering if there are available talks made by people from the industry, things like field trips or any other type of important activities outside of the course that help you make contacts in the industry and give you the chance to stand out.

Also, how do you find the lecturers? Do you feel like they give honest feedback on students' work? Are they responsive to students needing advice? I was told that usually at uni professors can be quite a pain and you have to press them loads in order to get help/feedback so obviously that concerns me.

What about the city? Do you reckon that there are stories to pitch? Is it a lively one?

Emilia
    Hi eemilia

That's fantastic news on your offer - well done!

Confusingly on the NTSU site journalism is under 'Trent Media', there a few that are related directly with the SU which are Platform (magazine, print and web), Fly FM (radio), and Trent TV (TV... obviously haha). Outside of the SU there are other journalism platforms that you can write for. I used to write for The Tab, and other friends of mine would write for Leftlion or the University Paper. There are plenty of online platforms (not necessarily in Nottingham) that you can write for anyway so it's always worth having a look at what there is if none of the above take your fancy.

Yes, there are talks from people in industry. In my global journalism module lectures were pretty much always from a guest speaker from industry. During my third year news production modules we would have guest supervisors from industry every other week. Other modules will feature guest speakers every now and again, and sometimes special talks are put on outside of the module learning. Every year there is a talk put on that features ex-Trent graduates who are working in the industry currently and they're great for networking.

The lecturers are great for feedback, especially your practical work as they are there with you running the newsday so you're constantly getting feedback on your work that way, and then they give feedback overall at the end of the day. There are also review sessions from these work where they will run through all the items produced from the day in detail and explain what worked well, what didn't and how you can improve for next time. And then there's the typical feedback on written work.

The city is great for finding stories, there's always something going on. It's also about realising what you can make into a news piece - it doesn't always have to be a big event or some change in legislation - as long as you can find something that is affecting people and show the sides to the story - you're all set! To put it into context, on any news day (4 days of the week are e.g. 1st years on a monday, 2nd years on a tuesday etc.) there are about 20 different news pieces being produced between groups so it's quite easy to find something newsworthy.

Sorry for the long post but I hope this helps!

Matt - NTU PG TSR Rep

ReputationRep:
    Hi eemilia

That's fantastic news on your offer - well done!

Confusingly on the NTSU site journalism is under 'Trent Media', there a few that are related directly with the SU which are Platform (magazine, print and web), Fly FM (radio), and Trent TV (TV... obviously haha). Outside of the SU there are other journalism platforms that you can write for. I used to write for The Tab, and other friends of mine would write for Leftlion or the University Paper. There are plenty of online platforms (not necessarily in Nottingham) that you can write for anyway so it's always worth having a look at what there is if none of the above take your fancy.

Yes, there are talks from people in industry. In my global journalism module lectures were pretty much always from a guest speaker from industry. During my third year news production modules we would have guest supervisors from industry every other week. Other modules will feature guest speakers every now and again, and sometimes special talks are put on outside of the module learning. Every year there is a talk put on that features ex-Trent graduates who are working in the industry currently and they're great for networking.

The lecturers are great for feedback, especially your practical work as they are there with you running the newsday so you're constantly getting feedback on your work that way, and then they give feedback overall at the end of the day. There are also review sessions from these work where they will run through all the items produced from the day in detail and explain what worked well, what didn't and how you can improve for next time. And then there's the typical feedback on written work.

The city is great for finding stories, there's always something going on. It's also about realising what you can make into a news piece - it doesn't always have to be a big event or some change in legislation - as long as you can find something that is affecting people and show the sides to the story - you're all set! To put it into context, on any news day (4 days of the week are e.g. 1st years on a monday, 2nd years on a tuesday etc.) there are about 20 different news pieces being produced between groups so it's quite easy to find something newsworthy.

Sorry for the long post but I hope this helps!

Matt - NTU PG TSR Rep

Thank you so much for the detailed reply!

I will make good use of all the information you gave me.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Thank you so much for the detailed reply!

I will make good use of all the information you gave me.
    Not a problem Emilia!

If you have any other questions just let us know

Matt - NTU PG TSR Rep

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 10, 2018

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.