Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manlike99)
    clearly haven't studied it properly as there is very little emphasis on GCSEs when applying for medicine @ Cambridge
    Not true. If anything there is more emphasis on GCSEs when applying for Medicine.

You seem to be ignoring the fundamental fact that medicine is (arguably) the most competitive course there is, nevertheless at Cambridge. There are literally thousands of applicants every year, with mostly all top grades (including and especially GCSEs). When there is that much competition, there is no choice but to choose only the best applicants - of which there are undeniably no shortage of. Poor GCSEs alone, and only average other elements of an application, will not get you an offer.

You're foolish if you think you will be likely to get an offer with no A*s at GCSE for medicine. "very little emphasis on GCSEs" implies that they do not use them at all as a performance indicator, which is incorrect.

Also, why do you think the minimum number of A*s last year was 5? Not 0, 5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bertybassett)
    WRONG WRONG WRONG. most applicants have 7 to 8 a stars. do you seriously think you wouldnt get in because you got an a instead of an a star in gcse ict or business studies? Universities just want to see a generally large number of As as gcse.
    I never said you would not get in just because of not getting an "an a instead of an a star". Where do you get that idea from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedGiant)
    Not true. If anything there is more emphasis on GCSEs when applying for Medicine.

You seem to be ignoring the fundamental fact that medicine is (arguably) the most competitive course there is, nevertheless at Cambridge. There are literally thousands of applicants every year, with mostly all top grades (including and especially GCSEs). When there is that much competition, there is no choice but to choose only the best applicants - of which there are undeniably no shortage of. Poor GCSEs alone, and only average other elements of an application, will not get you an offer.

You're foolish if you think you will be likely to get an offer with no A*s at GCSE for medicine. "very little emphasis on GCSEs" implies that they do not use them at all as a performance indicator, which is incorrect.
    you're telling me as if I don't know. I've been through the whole process and got 4/4 offers and I'm a medical student. You've literally just done your GCSEs this year, why are you telling me? I have 0A*s at GCSE

ReputationRep:
    you're telling me as if I don't know. I've been through the whole process and got 4/4 offers and I'm a medical student. You've literally just done your GCSEs this year, why are you telling me?
    You're clearly confusing the admissions process of Cambridge with other unis. Which is why you're stating wrong and misleading information.

ReputationRep:
    I never said you would not get in just because of not getting an "an a instead of an a star". Where do you get that idea from?
    you've previously quoted some nonsense about most students having 10 a stars or something, idiot.

ReputationRep:
    you've previously quoted some nonsense about about most students have 10 a stars or something, idiot.
    That's not "nonsense", that's factual. I never said it's a requirement.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    So the amount of GCSE'S taken matter?
    To an extent yes but the progress made from GCSES to AS Level is a more significant indicator. Also your character and personality is essential. Someone with decent grades and a good attitude may be favoured over someone with top grades who is relatively shy and awkward. They put emphasis on communication and general interests in medicine. After all these are the traits that make a good doctor. No patients are going to ask you what grades you got in your GCSES/A Levels and unis know this. Patients want someone they can talk to about anything with. Yes I've gone a bit off topic in relation to your question, but I just wanted to reiterate the other factors which unis put emphasis on aside general academic achievements.

ReputationRep:
    Why does everyone always hype up oxford and Cambridge like they’re good schools and hard to get in BUT, unis in London and Russel groups in general are just as hard to get in!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    you've previously quoted some nonsense about most students having 10 a stars or something, idiot.
    Stop being a dumbass, the FOI request literally says most applicants have 10 A*s. It also says on Oxford's website the average number of A*s was 10.3.

you're telling me as if I don't know. I've been through the whole process and got 4/4 offers and I'm a medical student. You've literally just done your GCSEs this year, why are you telling me? I have 0A*s at GCSE
    You act like you know what you're talking about with Cambridge. Where do you go now, London met?

ReputationRep:
    You're clearly confusing the admissions process of Cambridge with other unis. Which is why you're stating wrong and misleading information.
    As a Cambridge medic I thought I'd let you know that you're completely wrong, there are many people here with 3A*s or less at GCSE without crazy high BMATs or AS marks and there really isn't an emphasis on GCSE grades whatsoever, this isn't Oxford

ReputationRep:

There's a Cambridge first year medic on here who got 4A*s at GCSE @Elliottmanwaring

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...6#post72360096

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakey_99)
    Stop being a dumbass, the FOI request literally says most applicants have 10 A*s. It also says on Oxford's website the average number of A*s was 10.3.

You act like you know what you're talking about with Cambridge. Where do you go now, London met?
    oh shut up and get a life. as previously stated, you're at no disadvantage if you got 6 a stars and 3 as instead of 10 a stars (as long as you have a stars in sciences). much more emphasise would be put on a level results as a minimum entry requirements, while a lot more is put on you're application and work experience. who's the dumbass now?

(Original post by EmileHeskeyJr)
    As a Cambridge medic I thought I'd let you know that you're completely wrong, there are many people here with 3A*s or less at GCSE without crazy high BMATs or AS marks and there really isn't an emphasis on GCSE grades whatsoever, this isn't Oxford
    Any with 0A*'s?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmileHeskeyJr)
    There's a Cambridge first year medic on here who got 4A*s at GCSE @Elliottmanwaring

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=72360096#post72 360096
    And? That doesn't go against anything he's said. He hasn't said it's impossible to get in with poor GCSEs.

ReputationRep:

Barts. Ranked 3rd in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    oh shut up and get a life. as previously stated, you're at no disadvantage if you got 6 a stars and 3 as instead of 10 a stars (as long as you have a stars in sciences). much more emphasise would be put on a level results as a minimum entry requirements, while a lot more is put on you're application and work experience. who's the dumbass now?
    I haven't said you're at disadvantage if you only got 6 A*s and not 10. You're probably mad lol cos you have only got 6 and so are worried you wont get in

Salty much lmao

ReputationRep:
    Barts. Ranked 3rd in the UK.
    So that's where you're fundamentally flawed. You don't know the difference between Barts and Cambridge. Which is why you're wrong.

ReputationRep:
    And? That doesn't go against anything he's said. He hasn't said it's impossible to get in with poor GCSEs.

can you not read what he said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Any with 0A*'s?
    Not that I know of but I know people with just 1

ReputationRep:
    So that's where you're fundamentally flawed. You don't know the difference between Barts and Cambridge. Which is why you're wrong.
    I'm a Cambridge medic are you going to say I don't know either?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 2, 2017
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.