Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakey_99)
    I haven't said you're at disadvantage if you only got 6 A*s and not 10. You're probably mad lol cos you have only got 6 and so are worried you wont get in

Salty much lmao
    i got 11 A stars including 2 9s, i'm hardly salty just because you dont have a response jake. i think maybe you're the salty one. i think you need to get out a bit more tbh, maybe spend less time online?

ReputationRep:
    You can call them up
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks, I'll definetly think about it, I looked on the cambridge undergraduate website for Medicine and it filled in some gaps I was unsure about, I wish I could ask Cambridge themselve but their thread is now closed.

ReputationRep:
    Most top Unis will take into account GCSEs since there's so much competition, would avoid Cambridge
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Thanks everyone (never thought I'd get so many replies ) but we'll see what happens, Cambridge or not, Medicine is Medicine, so even if I do get in I'll be very grateful

ReputationRep:
    Don’t worry, your AS grades are amazing and even if you don’t get into Cambridge which you may be able to get into if you do really well your BMAT, UKCAT and interview, there are other top unis like UCL, Imperial etc
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks, I'll definetly think about it, I looked on the cambridge undergraduate website for Medicine and it filled in some gaps I was unsure about, I wish I could ask Cambridge themselve but their thread is now closed.
    They will be back a number of times in the coming months.

Also there's a prior thread about Medicine at Cambridge which is worth a read:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3257001

And I'm going to move this thread to the Medicine forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmileHeskeyJr)
    can you not read what he said
    Read what? The evidence?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedGiant)
    Not true. If anything there is more emphasis on GCSEs when applying for Medicine.

You seem to be ignoring the fundamental fact that medicine is (arguably) the most competitive course there is, nevertheless at Cambridge. There are literally thousands of applicants every year, with mostly all top grades (including and especially GCSEs). When there is that much competition, there is no choice but to choose only the best applicants - of which there are undeniably no shortage of. Poor GCSEs alone, and only average other elements of an application, will not get you an offer.

You're foolish if you think you will be likely to get an offer with no A*s at GCSE for medicine. "very little emphasis on GCSEs" implies that they do not use them at all as a performance indicator, which is incorrect.

Also, why do you think the minimum number of A*s last year was 5? Not 0, 5.
    They even reduced the GCSE requirement for Medicine this year (used to have a Science requirement, it's been removed). GCSEs. Are. Not. Important. And even less important for a post A-level applicant.

The most competitive course is Architecture. The success rate for Medicine is actualy fairly high at 21.1%. All the sciences except VetMed have a lower success rate.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Read what? The evidence?
    Do you understand correlation =/= causation.

However:

Name:  Medicine GCSE & UMS.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  90.8 KB

Look at the 0 A* band. 2 Offers from 13 Applicants.

But again, correlation =/= causation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)

However:

But that's 2 offers from thousands of applicants who apply?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSE 9)
    But that's 2 offers from thousands of applicants who apply?
    2 offers from about 1300 applicants yes. Of which just 13 had 0 A* at GCSE. You are focussing on the wrong stats

Your offer would be one out of 1300 applicants. Each individual offer is a tiny statistic!

As I've said repeatedly, your AS are more important, and your A-levels are more important again.

GCSE < AS < A-level.

I do think A*A*A* would be a good target though. What are your A-level subjects?

ReputationRep:
    2 offers from about 1300 applicants yes. Of which just 13 had 0 A* at GCSE. You are focussing on the wrong stats

Your offer would be one out of 1300 applicants. Each individual offer is a tiny statistic!

As I've said repeatedly, your AS are more important, and your A-levels are more important again.

GCSE < AS < A-level.

I do think A*A*A* would be a good target though. What are your A-level subjects?
    Maths, biology and chemistry
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Maths, biology and chemistry
    Perfect

A*s in those will make you at competitive candidate. And your improvement since GCSEs will impress them, not disadvantage you.

ReputationRep:
    Perfect

A*s in those will make you at competitive candidate. And your improvement since GCSEs will impress them, not disadvantage you.
    Thanks, in your opinion do you think all courses at Cambridge put the same emphasis on GCSE'S or Medicine more than others?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, in your opinion do you think all courses at Cambridge put the same emphasis on GCSE'S or Medicine more than others?
    GCSEs are only used in the context of your school's performance. So doing "ok" at a "good" school isn't as "impressive" as doing well at a "poor" school. This applies across all courses. But nevertheless, an upward academic trajectory is more impressive anyway.

ReputationRep:

However:

Bingo. That's my point.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you dont get any C’s i think you will be fine. What did you get an A in?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Bingo. That's my point.
    Only if your point is correlation =/= causation.

ReputationRep:
    Only if your point is correlation =/= causation.
    2 offers to people with 0A*s. Good luck to anyone that thinks an offer is likely with such grades
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    2 offers to people with 0A*s. Good luck to anyone that thinks an offer is likely with such grades
    Do you read what is posted? How many applicants had 0 A*s? 13. And of those 2 received offers. That's a 15% offer rate. Not dissimilar to the average offer rate for Medicine. And also, one more time, GCSEs are relatively unimportant, and even less important for a post A-level applicant.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.