Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSE 9)
    Thanks
    Rather than all these what-ifs, it would be easier if you just stated which universities you have actually applied to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Rather than all these what-ifs, it would be easier if you just stated which universities you have actually applied to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd rather not, but thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    why not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sortmeoutgeezer)
    why not?
    No comment
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Then everything is hypothetical and quite possibly wrong. For example, it was only by knowing that you were considering Cambridge that people were able to give you relevant advice. So unless you mention your actual choices the thread is frankly of no further utility.

You have an anonymous username, so it doesn't make any difference by mentioning your actual university choices.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I went to an Oxbridge talk about a month ago and they said that they take all the elements of your application equally into account, not just grades. If you have a strong personal statement and experience in the field (shadowing, EPQ...) you can also get in. Everyone is gonna have 10 A*s but you need to do something related to the field that would really make you stand out and show you are really interested in the subject. Hope that helps x

ReputationRep:
    Then everything is hypothetical and quite possibly wrong. For example, it was only by knowing that you were considering Cambridge that people were able to give you relevant advice. So unless you mention your actual choices the thread is frankly of no further utility.

You have an anonymous username, so it doesn't make any difference by mentioning your actual university choices.
    That's the thing, I am interested in Cambridge but everyone on the thread thought that it was Cambridge or nothing but I'll say it again that where ever I get into medicine will be alot for me, I once was considering engineering/computer science and my main focus was Cambridge but this is medicine and where ever I got to (if I get an offer) will be great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namelessfeelsx)
    I went to an Oxbridge talk about a month ago and they said that they take all the elements of your application equally into account, not just grades. If you have a strong personal statement and experience in the field (shadowing, EPQ...) you can also get in. Everyone is gonna have 10 A*s but you need to do something related to the field that would really makes you stand out and show you are really interested in the subject. Hope that helps x
    Will this make me stand out- wellbeing ambassader and a MOOC

ReputationRep:
    i got 3 a* 1 a and 1 c at IGCSE and 1A* 1A and 1B at a levels can i get admission into UCL,ICL or queen marry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zainali420)
    i got 3 a* 1 a and 1 c at IGCSE and 1A* 1A and 1B at a levels can i get admission into UCL,ICL or queen marry
    no cos u got a B at A level

ReputationRep:
    but i have reappeared for that subject in october if i get A then?
    secondly i have done SAT 2 do i need to appear for ukcat?

ReputationRep:
    but i have reappeared for that subject in october if i get A then?
    secondly i have done SAT 2 do i need to appear for ukcat?
    Barts, UCL, Imperial don't accept resits but there are other unis that do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manlike99)
    Barts, UCL, Imperial don't accept resits but there are other unis that do
    for ex. which institutions?

ReputationRep:
    for ex. which institutions?
    exeter liverpool lancaster etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatheO11)
    I will advise you to still apply. You have to consider the fact that just because you received 10 A* at GCSE, does not mean that you will automatically get in. Cambridge will admire your A-level grades more, because it shows that you are a hard worker and you are more outreached. There is a guy who had GCSEs grades from B-D, not A/A*s, but he got into Cambridge, because he worked hard. I know people in my school that had got 10 A/A* but they got rejected at Oxbridge. It is how you are perceived at the admission tests and the Interview, show that you are capable, work hard on those admission tests, to get what you want. Cambridge wants talent. If you have the edge of volunteering in an hospital, do that. Add more things to make you seem that you know what you are doing, not just an EPQ. Remember, even if you do get rejected, you can never say that you did not try. Success comes by hard work, if you don't risk the opportunity, how will you know? Please apply, don't doubt the endless possibilities.
    is his name Ibrahim Mohammed (as in Ibz Mo the YouTuber)?

ReputationRep:
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ncoming-828082

https://docs.google.com/viewerng/vie...2520GCSEs.xlsx (417, 457, from a quick scan)

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._passthrough=1
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishy789)
    is his name Ibrahim Mohammed (as in Ibz Mo the YouTuber)?
    Ibz Mo "got in" because of extenuating circumstances, and being a mature student (slightly different criteria) and because GCSEs are not that important for Cambridge.

It's not uncommon to have less than perfect GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ibz Mo "got in" because of extenuating circumstances, and being a mature student (slightly different criteria) and because GCSEs are not that important for Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He got in because of "extenuating circumstances"

Savage

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think he would have got in even if he didn't have extenuating circumstances... The guy got A*A*A at A level and you can tell he would have nailed the interview too
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedGiant)
    He got in because of "extenuating circumstances"

Savage
    My understanding is the ECs affected his GCSEs. Could be wrong, I haven't watched an entire video of his...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.