The Student Room Group

My experience with acne

Hi, I'm a 21 year old female and would like to share my experience with acne treatment, so that people out there don't give up hope.

I went to the GP when I was 17 because I could not get rid of my spots, and they gave me oxytetracycline on a repeat prescription, with Isotrex gel. This worked fairly well for a few months, but then stopped working so I gave up.
In January this year I went back to the GP because my skin was awful again. This time they gave me Lymecycline with Epiduo. This caused my skin to burn and peel and be awfully red, but it seemed to improve. After around 3 months my skin was generally clear. After a further 2 months my skin was perfectly clear, and previous scars I had were fading with the Epiduo.
After 7 months on the Lyme, the doctor said it was time to stop and see if my skin could cope with just the Epiduo. That was around a month ago and my skin has never looked better. I'm using Bio-Oil to boost the scar healing, and this hasn't caused any breakouts.
I'm also on the generic version of Yasmin (Lucette) and have been for about a year. This is probably helping my skin too - it's fairly cheap so if you're on the contraceptive pill and want to give it a try just ask your doctor.

Don't give up hope!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by bethw96
Hi, I'm a 21 year old female and would like to share my experience with acne treatment, so that people out there don't give up hope.

I went to the GP when I was 17 because I could not get rid of my spots, and they gave me oxytetracycline on a repeat prescription, with Isotrex gel. This worked fairly well for a few months, but then stopped working so I gave up.
In January this year I went back to the GP because my skin was awful again. This time they gave me Lymecycline with Epiduo. This caused my skin to burn and peel and be awfully red, but it seemed to improve. After around 3 months my skin was generally clear. After a further 2 months my skin was perfectly clear, and previous scars I had were fading with the Epiduo.
After 7 months on the Lyme, the doctor said it was time to stop and see if my skin could cope with just the Epiduo. That was around a month ago and my skin has never looked better. I'm using Bio-Oil to boost the scar healing, and this hasn't caused any breakouts.
I'm also on the generic version of Yasmin (Lucette) and have been for about a year. This is probably helping my skin too - it's fairly cheap so if you're on the contraceptive pill and want to give it a try just ask your doctor.

Don't give up hope!

Hi i am using epiduo gel also.. i’m on week one and my face stings and i have painful breakouts,,when this breakout phase will end?😭 when will everything start to get better?
Reply 2
Original post by Roj05
Hi i am using epiduo gel also.. i’m on week one and my face stings and i have painful breakouts,,when this breakout phase will end?😭 when will everything start to get better?

The stinging, dryness and breakouts get better after about 3 weeks. A few of my friends gave up about 1 week in because they didn't see immediate results and because of the dryness and stinging but I definitely think it was worth it.
Moisturising twice a day is good. I used to do it loads of times a day but when i started cutting down to just twice and then just once my skin seemed to cope better and the dryness resolved.
Reply 3
Original post by bethw96
The stinging, dryness and breakouts get better after about 3 weeks. A few of my friends gave up about 1 week in because they didn't see immediate results and because of the dryness and stinging but I definitely think it was worth it.
Moisturising twice a day is good. I used to do it loads of times a day but when i started cutting down to just twice and then just once my skin seemed to cope better and the dryness resolved.

Are you still on epiduo now? Just finished week one and my face is really not in good condition,,i have breakouts but i noticed that the whiteheads are popping out,,i read a lot of blogs about epiduo and they did say that it gets worst before it gets better,i hope it gets better.
Which cleanser did you use while using epiduo gel?
Original post by bethw96

Don't give up hope!

Congratulations on getting through it!!
Reply 5
Original post by Roj05
Are you still on epiduo now? Just finished week one and my face is really not in good condition,,i have breakouts but i noticed that the whiteheads are popping out,,i read a lot of blogs about epiduo and they did say that it gets worst before it gets better,i hope it gets better.
Which cleanser did you use while using epiduo gel?

I still use Epiduo now but my skin doesn't sting or go red at all, it stopped stinging after a few months but has still kept the spots away. You've just got to stick with it and the results will hopefully pay off, at least if your skin is getting worse it is definitely responding to the Epi!
I used Clinique extra mild face wash, it's a creamy one so doesn't lather and therefore doesn't dry your skin out more. It was good and did help with the dryness and sting but it's £16.50 and I'm not too convinced it's much better than other cleansers. I'd say go for a creamy cleanser (as the doc told me) because creamy was a lot better than the soapy Clinique face wash i was using before.
Epiduo also have an app called Epi-Tracker where you take daily photos of your skin and track its progression. This is good to look back on how far you've come in a few weeks/months time!
Reply 6
How many weeks are you on epiduo right now?my left cheek is starting clear out but i got new painful bumps on the forehead which i dont usually have,,,i still got the stinging and burning sensation but was better than last week.
Thanks for the advice,i will download that tracker
Does this treatment work for men? I'm a 17 year old male and was wondering if you know whether there are any acne treatments designed for men or home/DIY methods/remedies?
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Does this treatment work for men? I'm a 17 year old male and was wondering if you know whether there are any acne treatments designed for men or home/DIY methods/remedies?

All the topical and antibiotic treatments will work for men and women. You can buy topical benzoyl peroxide acne treatments over the counter but if you need something stronger you'll have to go to the GP.
I highly doubt there are any hormonal treatments for men though. The contraceptive pills for women that are the best for acne work by blocking testosterone so that wouldn't be too good in a man.
did you initially break out when starting lymecycline?
Reply 10
Original post by pinkbluex
did you initially break out when starting lymecycline?

Yeah it was quite bad. I’d say it got worse for about a month, then plateaued for a few weeks then got better. Each time I started a course of antibiotics it got worse initially. Persevere!
Original post by bethw96
Yeah it was quite bad. I’d say it got worse for about a month, then plateaued for a few weeks then got better. Each time I started a course of antibiotics it got worse initially. Persevere!

thanks, how's your skin looking now? I didn't think you'd actually respond since it was over a year ago you initially wrote it ahahaha
Reply 12
thanks, how's your skin looking now? I didn't think you'd actually respond since it was over a year ago you initially wrote it ahahaha

I know hahaha I got an email and somehow still remembered my password. Skin is still looking good
Original post by bethw96
I know hahaha I got an email and somehow still remembered my password. Skin is still looking good

that's so good hahahah
Reply 14
Heya, I'm in my 3rd week of the combo right now. My skin is pretty red, stingy and itchy (fun) but I wanted to ask if you ever gave your skin/ parts of your face that were extra dry a break for a day to help calm it down? I apply the epiduo before bed so this would mean skipping a night. I did this once last week before an event and it got way less red but I don't want to mess with the process so just wanted your advice!
Original post by mads_w
Heya, I'm in my 3rd week of the combo right now. My skin is pretty red, stingy and itchy (fun) but I wanted to ask if you ever gave your skin/ parts of your face that were extra dry a break for a day to help calm it down? I apply the epiduo before bed so this would mean skipping a night. I did this once last week before an event and it got way less red but I don't want to mess with the process so just wanted your advice!

what combo are you on? and Epiduo does that, makes it a bit worse before it gets better, I would know as ive been using it for 5 years now, depends what your GP suggested you! but just make sure you are moisturising a lot as it's very drying, and make sure you only apply a thin layer of Epiduo, less is always more.
Reply 16
what combo are you on? and Epiduo does that, makes it a bit worse before it gets better, I would know as ive been using it for 5 years now, depends what your GP suggested you! but just make sure you are moisturising a lot as it's very drying, and make sure you only apply a thin layer of Epiduo, less is always more.

Tetrylysal (a brand of lymecycline) and epiduo. Thanks for this! And did you put the epiduo just on the parts with acne or everywhere? So I take it you did it everyday regardless of redness/dryness? This is super helpful thanks :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by mads_w
Tetrylysal (a brand of lymecycline) and epiduo. Thanks for this! And did you put the epiduo just on the parts with acne or everywhere? So I take it you did it everyday regardless of redness/dryness? This is super helpful thanks :smile:

Oh lol this was directed at bethw36 but if you've been through the same thing welcome any and all advice!
Original post by mads_w

im on this combo too, and I definitely apply it everywhere, because It can help prevents spots appearing in the first place!! I was quite young but I took my GP's advice and put it on everyday, I do remember it stinging a lot but I'd get a fan haha
hey, so glad you’re skin has gotten better🙏🏻 I have had mild acne since I was 14 and tried nearly everything to get rid of it but nothing has helped so far :frown: I’ve been on Epiduo for 2 and a half months and my skin has not improved - do you think that it will improve after this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending