Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Oxford requires written work 'marked by teacher' does that mean it has to be graded or is it ok if they wrote comments on my work, also are subject individual investigation coursework for biology or geography ok for written work? btw I applied for oriental studies, and i think I might submit an extract of my extended essay cuz of the word limit, does that have to be marked as well? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennisme)
    Hi! Oxford requires written work 'marked by teacher' does that mean it has to be graded or is it ok if they wrote comments on my work, also are subject individual investigation coursework for biology or geography ok for written work? btw I applied for oriental studies, and i think I might submit an extract of my extended essay cuz of the word limit, does that have to be marked as well? Thanks!
    The written work has to be marked regardless of what it is - the usual assumption would be that it is a piece of paper with teacher's comments in the margins and then final comments plus a grade (or score out of) at the end. If you are not sure what is the best piece of work to submit or whether your work is marked in the way they expect, then you should absolutely email the admissions office at the college you have applied to - they are the only ones who can give you a definitive answer (and you don't want to submit a less than ideal piece of work on the say so of a random person on the internet!)

ReputationRep:
    Yes everything has to be marked. If you're applying for oriental studies, I wouldn't submit science work though, you really want something where you're presenting an argument I would say. Remember they want to assess how well you're going to be able to write the style of essays required for your course. As for a numbered grade, I wouldn't say that's as important, because at A-level/IB so much of your grade is dependent on feature spotting and sticking to the markscheme, whereas Oxford care far more about the quality of your argument and how well you express yourself. That said, your teacher would normally put a final grade on your work, so i suppose they will want to see that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.