Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm scared to get a phone on contract. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I've been thinking about getting the iPhone 8+ on contract, but for some reason I'm extremely reluctant to do it. I'm quite new to this whole banking thing and I have a part-time job.

I think the main reason why I'm hesitating to get a contract phone is because firstly, I'm not sure if I'll still have my job between now and 24 months from now! And secondly, paying monthly for something just sounds stressful!

But at the same, I'm extremely desperate for a new phone. I currently have an S4. I'm at college and I literally go somewhere secretive when I want to pull out my phone because firstly, it's an S4. It's ancient, It even turns off at 30% and secondly it's got a cracked screen and it's just gross to look at.

I know you'll probably just say, just save up for one, but I'm 18, and I blow my weekly wage on pretty much the first couple of days and my S4 is literally on the edge of death.

So I just need anyones advice/opinion on whether I should just get one{and what it's like having a phone on contract}, or whether I should just shut up and save up!

Thing is, I know I can afford a contract easily, but it just sounds stressful for some reason. Saving up 800 straight up would take me months!! Theres other things I need to pay for, like paying for food, monthly bus fare{or whatever its called!},driving lessons! And clothes and shoes{I care alot about my appearance haha}, so yeah saving up 800 pounds would be a task!

So yeah, sorry for rambling on, I don't even know if I made sense! But yeah please advise me

ReputationRep:
    Paying monthly doesn't have to be stressful - if you set up a direct debit, the money will be taken automatically so you don't have to worry about late payments.

If you are worried about the money cost, you may want to consider getting an IPhone 6S or 7 as they should become cheaper with the releases of the new IPhone. Also consider how much usage you need (minutes, texts, data) and any special offers (for example, Three gives free minutes to call other people on Three).

You could consider getting a second hand phone sim free and then get a sim only contract (30 days or 12 months). That way, you aren't tied down to a company for two years, and if you find a better deal, you can cancel it.

ReputationRep:
    Get an iPhone 6/7 ( I have a 6 and love it), they’re still good phones but cost less and do basically the same thing
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    get a 6 or 7 or even an SE.

TBH I prefer the size of the 5/5s/SE compared to the others, but that's probably just me.

ReputationRep:
    fair play if your phone was a 1990's nokia brick-phone or something but an S4? true its an older iteration of smart phone, but, it's reeeaaally not that deep.

Just like you I tend to stay away from contracts for the reasons you proposed: not knowing if you'll still be in the same financial situation now in 2 years as well as the fear of being charged more than the original deal cos' I f*cked around and spent too much data, so I just save up and buy the phone outright.

either way - it's an S4. yes it's old but honestly what does it say about how fragile you are if you care that deeply regarding what others think of you? that's not me being mean btw, apologies if it comes across that way.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    The S4 came out 4 years ago, hardly an ancient relic even in phone terms. You could get a replacement screen and battery done for a fairly reasonable price and probably continue using the thing for a good year or two.

Getting an iPhone 8 on contract is almost certainly going to be a major rip-off. In fact I had a look online and the cheapest plan came up as £1000 over 24 months - around 23.6% interest rate, worse than your average credit card.

If you're dead set on getting a newer phone, I suggest you look to spend within your means a bit more, rather than pay over the odds for the latest slab of plastic. You can get older-gen iPhones like the 6s on a far more reasonable contract rate, which puts you at less risk if you do end up having money troubles further down the line.

Personally if I were you I'd look at buying a second-hand phone on eBay and using a rolling 1-month contract SIM on it, but it's up to you to decide how much having a flashy phone is actually worth.

ReputationRep:
    The bigger deal here, rather than your money concerns, is your lack of self esteem and embarrassment over something as trivial as a phone.

Sort that out first, then work out what your priorities are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c0nfusion)
    Okay, so I've been thinking about getting the iPhone 8+ on contract, but for some reason I'm extremely reluctant to do it. I'm quite new to this whole banking thing and I have a part-time job.

I think the main reason why I'm hesitating to get a contract phone is because firstly, I'm not sure if I'll still have my job between now and 24 months from now! And secondly, paying monthly for something just sounds stressful!

But at the same, I'm extremely desperate for a new phone. I currently have an S4. I'm at college and I literally go somewhere secretive when I want to pull out my phone because firstly, it's an S4. It's ancient, It even turns off at 30% and secondly it's got a cracked screen and it's just gross to look at.

I know you'll probably just say, just save up for one, but I'm 18, and I blow my weekly wage on pretty much the first couple of days and my S4 is literally on the edge of death.

So I just need anyones advice/opinion on whether I should just get one{and what it's like having a phone on contract}, or whether I should just shut up and save up!

Thing is, I know I can afford a contract easily, but it just sounds stressful for some reason. Saving up 800 straight up would take me months!! Theres other things I need to pay for, like paying for food, monthly bus fare{or whatever its called!},driving lessons! And clothes and shoes{I care alot about my appearance haha}, so yeah saving up 800 pounds would be a task!

So yeah, sorry for rambling on, I don't even know if I made sense! But yeah please advise me
    Paying bills monthly is something you're going to have to do throughout life. Can't avoid it. But it comes out automatically from your account. I don't even notice I've paid my phone pill until I look at my statement.

An S4 isn't that old. I've had friends who have simple flip phones and there's no shame in it. If you're worried about the cost, just get your phone repaired.

If you're worried about money you could, you know, not blow your weekly wage. Don't buy new clothes and shoes. You don't need them. Yes, you want them, but tough luck. Don't buy them.

Meal plan so you don't buy more food than you need. Try supermarket own brand things - I'm doing that and they actually taste pretty good, hardly any difference.

Does it have to be that specific phone? Why not go for an older and cheaper model (maybe not even an iPhone) that still does the same job but is cheaper. I have the Samsung Galaxy S7 and I pay £24pm for unlimited texts and calls plus 6GB data. I got this on the black Friday deal last year. Might be worth waiting until then as there's so many deals on.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the useful responses everyone! I honestly expected more aggressive and ruder responses tbh😅but thanks!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Hi there!

This thread should be in the Mobile phones forum. I'll just tag AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there

ReputationRep:

Hi, see when i see others like yourself, who get a contract they don't tend to know what they are getting.

from my understanding, i don't believe you aware that you'll 100% definitely be paying more than 800 pounds for an e.g. iphone8+ 64gb for at least 2yrs. the companies have to make their money somehow

expect to pay 1k at least for a phone that looks like the iphone 6 and 7. pretty much majority of your money will be going to paying off that dead weight of a contract.

what you could do is go for for one line down the apple range, maybe an iphone 7/7+ sim free, new from e.g. ebay. and the just get a sim only contract, that will work out marginally cheaper instead of paying 800+ for a contract.

you'd still be paying for the phone+ the contract even after you've payed off the phone itself

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.