Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi TSR

I'm considering applying for a full-time degree level course and wasn't sure about whether I'd be eligible for funding. Partly because of my age (54) and partly because I did receive finance (I think!) in the early 90s for a one-year National Diploma and a two-year HND. The subject I'd like to start now is not the same as my previous qualification. Any advice would be great.

Thanks
    Tony
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tony Morris)
    Hi TSR

I'm considering applying for a full-time degree level course and wasn't sure about whether I'd be eligible for funding. Partly because of my age (54) and partly because I did receive finance (I think!) in the early 90s for a one-year National Diploma and a two-year HND. The subject I'd like to start now is not the same as my previous qualification. Any advice would be great.

Thanks
    Tony
    Hi Tony,

You will be pleased to know that your age will not be a barrier,as long as you are under the age of 60 on the first day of the academic year, you will be eligible for support.

We do take your previous study into account when calculating your entitlement.

On the information you have provided, you will be entitled to full support Tuition Fee, Maintenance loan and Supplementary Grants if applicable, if you undertake a one year top -up course to take your qualification to degree level.

Alternatively if you wish to start a full undergraduate course, because of your previous study, year one, you would be entitled to a maintenance loan only, subsequent years you would receive full support.

Many universities will accept you into year two of an undergraduate course, because you already hold an HND, then you would have full support for the length of the course.

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rona SFE)
    Hi Tony,

You will be pleased to know that your age will not be a barrier,as long as you are under the age of 60 on the first day of the academic year, you will be eligible for support.

We do take your previous study into account when calculating your entitlement.

On the information you have provided, you will be entitled to full support Tuition Fee, Maintenance loan and Supplementary Grants if applicable, if you undertake a one year top -up course to take your qualification to degree level.

Alternatively if you wish to start a full undergraduate course, because of your previous study, year one, you would be entitled to a maintenance loan only, subsequent years you would receive full support.

Many universities will accept you into year two of an undergraduate course, because you already hold an HND, then you would have full support for the length of the course.

Thanks Rona
    Thanks Rona

Would many unis accept me onto year two of an undergrad course even if the subject was completely different??

Tony
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Tony,

We can only provide you with advice about Student Finance and the funding part of your application. For information about being accepted onto year two you would be best to contact the Admissions team at the University you were looking to attend and they should be able to give you some further guidance around this.

Thanks

Laura

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.