Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Deleted
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VauxhallAndI1994)
    So I've got A*'s at A-level, in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English Literature, I've taken part in various enrichment activities such as being part of my college's Careers in Medicine group, our college's Biology Academy, as well as being a part of the music society. On top of this I was in the college's basketball club.

In my free time I am in a band, playing guitar, something I'm only getting better and better at, I also write the lyrics for the songs in the band, as well as this I've been working in McDonalds to make money (I don't live with my parents so all of this studying has been extremely difficult to fit around working to pay my own bills). I got an A in my extended project by the way also.

Now for the catch.... my GCSE's leave something to be desired; I only have these grades:
    English Literature - A*
    English Language - A
    Core Science - B
    Additional Science - B
    History - B
    Sociology - B
    Geography - B
    Food Studies - B
    Maths - B
    Religious Studies - C

What're the chances of my getting into Med School with these grades? I'm worried that despite my good A-Level grades, I won't be able to do medicine because of my rubbish GCSE's. If anyone knows of any universities that would accept me onto medicine with these grades please let me know!!

Certain unis that don't look much into GCSEs that I know of are Plymouth, Exeter, maybe Newcastle and maybe Glasgow.
    However most of them depend a lot on your UKCAT scores and you've missed the deadline for applying this year for starting in September 2018 if you haven't already applied.

ReputationRep:
    "rubbish gcses" That's rather laughable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregor99)
    Certain unis that don't look much into GCSEs that I know of are Plymouth, Exeter, maybe Newcastle and maybe Glasgow.
    However most of them depend a lot on your UKCAT scores and you've missed the deadline for applying this year for starting in September 2018 if you haven't already applied.
    Ok thanks for the help!! I will look into those uni's more now! I realise I've missed the deadline this year, - If I'm honest I was put off applying due to my GCSE's, and have been really busy with working - im worried about what's going to happen when I start university, I hope I still have enough time to work as well otherwise I won't have money to live

Do you think I could get into one of those Uni's with my current grades if I get good UKCAT scores? Or do you think I should look at re-sitting some of my GCSE's to bring the grades up?

Thanks for your help!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harold Saxon)
    "rubbish gcses" That's rather laughable.
    They're rubbish by med school standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VauxhallAndI1994)
    Ok thanks for the help!! I will look into those uni's more now! I realise I've missed the deadline this year, - If I'm honest I was put off applying due to my GCSE's, and have been really busy with working - im worried about what's going to happen when I start university, I hope I still have enough time to work as well otherwise I won't have money to live

Do you think I could get into one of those Uni's with my current grades if I get good UKCAT scores? Or do you think I should look at re-sitting some of my GCSE's to bring the grades up?

Thanks for your help!!
    4 A*s at A level would definitely get an interview at Exeter. Others I mentioned depend on UKCAT score.
    You have to do UKCAT for all I mentioned.
    UKCAT examination takes place between July and October each year.
    For more info on UKCAT - https://www.ukcat.ac.uk/ukcat-test/
    For more info on all med schools requirements
    https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf

I wouldn't of thought you would have much time to work as Medicine is a pretty busy degree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.