Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it possible to publish Masters dissertation before its been examined? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi - does anyone know if making public/publishing a masters dissertation before it's been examined, would contravene any university regulations in general? What if the plagiarism turnitin thinks I have copied some other paper? Or do people do this all the time? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    The obvious thing to do here is check your university regulations.

As far as I understand it though, you usually have to wait for your dissertation to be graded before you can publish anything from it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by greenvfd)
    Hi - does anyone know if making public/publishing a masters dissertation before it's been examined, would contravene any university regulations in general? What if the plagiarism turnitin thinks I have copied some other paper? Or do people do this all the time? Thanks
    There most likely won't be anything to stop you from publishing your work before the dissertation has been examined but it would be a good idea to let your supervisor and student office/exams office/dept office know in case they run it through any plagiarism checkers. The more important things to consider here are: you always talk to your supervisor about these things first as they know the field best and will be able to guide you, you don't want to go behind anyone's back or piss people off as academia is a small place. It's highly unlikely that you will be able to publish your dissertation in the form it's in. You will have to modify it to meet the journal's very specific requirements unless you're publishing in some kind of student dissertation journal. Publishing can take up to a year as well with all the hoops you have to jump through, editing and general back and forth with the journal and waiting time so I can't imagine that you'd be able to publish within the time between dissertation completion and examination.

ReputationRep:
    ^ better advice than mine! Also, considering it's only a matter of a couple of months (presumably) before it's been marked, why not take the opportunity to receive detailed feedback on it before offering it around for publication?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.