Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice/experience/tips that they can share with me regarding going from an access to medicine course to medicine? I've found two which I think I may be able to apply for. One is at The Manchester College and the other is in Liverpool at Carmel (with the opportunity to progress on to medicine at Liverpool.) Are they worth doing???? OR the alternative I am considering is to do a degree in Adult Nursing and then apply for a GEP, although I know that only a few unis offer this to those with nursing degrees.
    Any help is very much appreciated! X

ReputationRep:
    If you're eligible for access courses and you want to pursue medicine then go for it. You could still apply for "normal" A100 Medicine courses without access courses alongside your application to access courses if you have the right stats. In the same way, you could apply to the access courses and then also apply to Unis offering an Adult Nursing degree.

GEP are often more competitive because there's fewer places, may require you to sit the GAMSAT which is hard work to learn the material for, and can be very expensive - you won't have earned a salary and would be going straight into another degree which you'd likely have to finance yourself. So if you have found access courses that suit you, that would allow to progress on to medicine, I'd say don't hesitate to apply. Good luck
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsg9)
    If you're eligible for access courses and you want to pursue medicine then go for it. You could still apply for "normal" A100 Medicine courses without access courses alongside your application to access courses if you have the right stats. In the same way, you could apply to the access courses and then also apply to Unis offering an Adult Nursing degree.

GEP are often more competitive because there's fewer places, may require you to sit the GAMSAT which is hard work to learn the material for, and can be very expensive - you won't have earned a salary and would be going straight into another degree which you'd likely have to finance yourself. So if you have found access courses that suit you, that would allow to progress on to medicine, I'd say don't hesitate to apply. Good luck
    Thanks so much for your advice, those are really good points about GEPs. I'm not able to apply to A100 unfortunately so I think I'd be best off applying for an access course and seeing what response I get. Thanks again 😊

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.