Turn on thread page Beta

Why are black people so over represented in crime statistics? watch

ReputationRep:
    The official figures, which examine the ethnicity of those accused of violent offences in London, suggest the majority of men held responsible by police for gun crimes, robberies and street crimes are black.
    Black men are also disproportionately the victims of violent crime in the capital.
    The statistics, released by the Metropolitan Police, permit an informed debate on a sensitive subject for the first time.
    One prominent black politician said that the black community needed to face up to major challenges.

They show that among those proceeded against for street crimes, 54 per cent were black; for robbery, 59 per cent; and for gun crimes, 67 per cent. Street crimes include muggings, assault with intent to rob and snatching property.
    Just over 12 per cent of London’s 7.5 million population is black, including those of mixed black and white parentage, while 69 per cent is white, according to the Office for National Statistics.

On sex offences, black men made up 32 per cent of male suspects proceeded against, and white men 49 per cent. The statistics also suggest that black women are responsible for a disproportionate amount of violent crime committed by females.

ReputationRep:
    Probably due to social economic factors. I live in London and I went to a secondary school with 70% black, most of them lived in estate blocks. They get influenced to do crime and joing gangs. It's like an estate culture to join a gang for your postcode (in london). Same goes for white people in these estates but there are more black people than white people in estates due to them not being able to afford housing.

ReputationRep:
    Are we tarnishing all black men? Are black men of African heritage just as likely to be accused or convicted of crime as say those of West Indian heritage? And how many of their victims are also black (the Met Police had a programme called Trident dealing with black men murdering or injuring other black men).

ReputationRep:
    bump

Because police, judges, and the law in general are racist.

ReputationRep:
    wacism

dindu nuffin

ReputationRep:
    Because white people get away with more shite and this data makes it seem like blacks are the biggest criminals. Do not even @ me on this. Buh bye.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fgargegwetrg)
    The official figures, which examine the ethnicity of those accused of violent offences in London, suggest the majority of men held responsible by police for gun crimes, robberies and street crimes are black.
    Black men are also disproportionately the victims of violent crime in the capital.
    The statistics, released by the Metropolitan Police, permit an informed debate on a sensitive subject for the first time.
    One prominent black politician said that the black community needed to face up to major challenges.

They show that among those proceeded against for street crimes, 54 per cent were black; for robbery, 59 per cent; and for gun crimes, 67 per cent. Street crimes include muggings, assault with intent to rob and snatching property.
    Just over 12 per cent of London’s 7.5 million population is black, including those of mixed black and white parentage, while 69 per cent is white, according to the Office for National Statistics.

On sex offences, black men made up 32 per cent of male suspects proceeded against, and white men 49 per cent. The statistics also suggest that black women are responsible for a disproportionate amount of violent crime committed by females.
    That is also the case on this "side of the pond". I feel most qualified to comment on the situation here, and i feel that the same is probably true on your side - altho i do not have the statistics for your side.

Here, the vast majority of crime occurs in the 'inner cities'. Much of the white population has been driven out by the high crime rates. The homicide rate in D.C. is around 18.5 per 100,000, whilst just across the river in Arlington, Virginia, it is about 5.8 per 100,000. Forceable rape in D.C. is about 53.4 per 100,000, whilst in Virginia, it is about 32.5. This is also true for Chicago, Detroit, New York, and other large cities. Look at the FBI crime stats for our cities. There is also a large gang presence in all large US cities. In Detroit, homicide victims had a previous felony conviction in about 80% of the cases. In other major cities, it was also very high. What percentage of your friends have a string of felony convictions? I'd suspect not many. The gangs have an extensive smuggling network that stretches into Mexico and points south. This is how they bring in drugs [which earn them a large part of their income]. It is also how they bring in weapons for gang activities, such as 'turf battles' with rival gangs. The 'society' of the inner cities is typified by resistance to absorbing any education, refusal to acknowledge any 'heirarchy' or 'authority figures', and reliance on welfare, or very low income jobs. As a result, young kids in 'inner city' areas are presented with only one kind of adult 'role model' - that is welfare recipients, and occasionally employed drug dealers, combined with 'high spending, uneducated drug 'bosses' driving around in new BMWs. The 'high spending' individuals, however, are in the minority. Most inner city drug dealers make so little money they have to live with their mothers, most of whom survive on welfare (benefits). Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    What about poor white areas of the Uk, that don’t have anywhere near the same level of crime?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not racist but there's still a view and history of black people that many people subconsciously have (I don't think I do at all) but I guess Trump is the USA president so it's all a bit backward now 😂
    no offense anyone who supports him,. I just don't
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Combination of factors. Some include the fact that statistically, minorities tend to be poorer, and poorer communities are statistically more likely to get involved in crime.

Also have to factor in that black people, particularly black males are more likely to be under suspicion, due to both conscious and subconscious prejudice. Therefore, the chances of a black person being convicted for the same crime as a white person is slightly higher.

Then, there's a victim mindset/culture, where some black people living in bad communities, feel as though they've been dealt a "bad hand" and so continue this "Sulking" attitude by behaving anti-socially and getting into more crime.

Moreover, it is a commonly held view that you are a product of your environment. So, children brought up in a community where poverty rates are high, unemployment is high and crime is high, are likely to also become part of those statistics. Also, the fact that ethnic groups tend to group together geographically, adds to the reason why black people are over represented in crime rates.

Ethnicity doesn't make you a more violent person, your circumstances and your actions do. For example, if you were to take a white person who was in the same "bad" situation as a black person and put them in the same (bad) community, the white person is just as unlikely to behave lawfully just because they're white, as a black person would behave unlawfully, just because they're black.

ReputationRep:
    It’s all about socioeconomic factors little bro. That’s it. Me, I grew up in a dirty Irish neighborhood ☘️ where we had our own culture! We did things that others in society abhorred.. we committed horrific crimes, plagued the entire community with our force and toppled figurative empires til they were bits of rubble beneath our feet mate. We drank til the wee hours of the morn, swalled the lasses and fought til the barrels ran dry! Why? Because it was and is our culture. Because it makes us who we are and we live it; cherish it. We breathe it mate! But others hate it and say the same: we are responsible for all the crimes. Ok, but we are responsible for all the fun too right lad? :pirate2:

Oy!! .... OYYYY!!!!! oyy oyy oyyyyyyy!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncin)
    What about poor white areas of the Uk, that don’t have anywhere near the same level of crime?
    Whatttt??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessAgony37)
    Whatttt??
    My, what a well thought out retort..
    That'll teach him!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just my opinion)
    My, what a well thought out retort..
    That'll teach him!
    Whaaaaatttt?!????

ReputationRep:
    It's specifically young black males. Gang culture, poor educational achievement, poverty and fatherlessness are a recipe for criminal activity. Geography also plays its part. Policing is going to be more intensive in urban areas with the most crime. Black people are concentrated in urban areas with high crime, therefore they have more interaction with the police. Profiling also has a reaffirming effect - black men commit more crime, so police focus their attention on black men, resulting in more black men getting caught, and so on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    It's specifically young black males. Gang culture, poor educational achievement, poverty and fatherlessness are a recipe for criminal activity. Geography also plays its part. Policing is going to be more intensive in urban areas with the most crime. Black people are concentrated in urban areas with high crime, therefore they have more interaction with the police. Profiling also has a reaffirming effect - black men commit more crime, so police focus their attention on black men, resulting in more black men getting caught, and so on.
    In 'inner cities', the educational system is in disarray. This (i gather) is also true in the Uk. There have been many cases of kids from the 'inner city' who wanted to make something of themselves receiving death threats from their classmates, because they were acting "too white" - by trying to learn to read well and do math properly. I recall one young lady (16 or so) who was trying to get a scholarship to uni to study medicine. She was assaulted numerous times because of that, Eventually she ended up in the hospital due to her injuries twice.

The Federal government instituted ADC [aid to dependent children] during Johnson's regime. That increased welfare (benefits) payments to single parent families. The result was, that a woman who had a 'non-working' BF, and who was supporting a child produced by him on welfare, had a strong incentive to drive him out of the flat. He wasn't producing any income, often was dealing drugs, was eating off of her welfare payments, and costing her money - because it was a 2 parent family. She would drive him out to increase her welfare payments, and then take up with another male - who would produce another kid with her. Then the cycle would repeat. Often you would end up with 10 or 12 kids, each fathered by a different male, living in the same flat with the woman. The kids (at least the male ones), who lacked any exposure to ANY working male, saw the local drug dealers wearing gold chains and driving BMWs, and adopted that life style. Soon, they ran afoul of the law, and began their life of crime.

Contrast this behaviour with oriental families: In most of these, the parents (and there are almost always two of them), value education, and strongly encourage the kids to get all the education they can. I went through graduate school with a guy in my 3 person study group, whose parents emigrated from Taiwan. He had two siblings, a boy & a girl. He was the oldest. He did a masters degree in Electrical engineering. After he and I graduated, his sister started medical school. She is now a pediatrician. Then it was his younger brother's turn, who became a lawyer (solicitor). Contrast that with the single parent 'family' with 6 or 8 unrelated kids, most of whom are drug dealers, and who cannot read or write standard English.

ReputationRep:
    It's because they have been brought up angry about the injustices of the world and anger doesn't just make you angry at the people who are responsible for your anger. If you are brought up in a dark world then you can see the world in a much more negative way and even see humans as something negative and so your crimes don't seem too bad to you. If humans are evil then killing them is right is it not? and criminals can see in it in a similar way due to their upbringing.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.