Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Its me again,
    Hey guys this week i have had some court and tribunal hearing experience and work experience in courts and when i attented the hearings i realised i felt so misplaced and had absolutely no courtroom etiquette.

Would someone like to enlighten me on the various courtroom manners and things you automatically do obviously apart from smart dressing and being polite to the judge and not being late is there potentially anything else.

As i would like to familiarise myself with them. Also i have tried to research but once again i find it better and understandable to ask you guys as its summarised and understandable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by britney123)
    Its me again,
    Hey guys this week i have had some court and tribunal hearing experience and work experience in courts and when i attented the hearings i realised i felt so misplaced and had absolutely no courtroom etiquette.

Would someone like to enlighten me on the various courtroom manners and things you automatically do obviously apart from smart dressing and being polite to the judge and not being late is there potentially anything else.

As i would like to familiarise myself with them. Also i have tried to research but once again i find it better and understandable to ask you guys as its summarised and understandable
    Hi there!

What stage are you at currently?

If I am correct in thinking that you are just shadowing, and are not qualified to speak or advise, then you have no rights of audience in a court room (no right to speak) and so there is absolutely nothing for you to be saying to a Judge. Other than dressing smartly and standing when the Judge enters and leaves the room, there is not much else for you to consider in terms of etiquette. Like you said, arriving late really is a no no and realistically, you should not be allowed entry to a court room if a hearing is already in progress.

You can also gain some experience in criminal courts by sitting in the viewing area. Go to your local court and ask the usher what cases are on today/which one would be good to watch and I'm sure they'll point you in the right direction. Again, no rights of audience - just standing for the Judge.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    That judge deals with people who take massive steamy shits on the floor just to prove a point. Don't worry about what the judge thinks of your bowing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    That judge deals with people who take massive steamy shits on the floor just to prove a point. Don't worry about what the judge thinks of your bowing.
    OHH thanks !!!! its only because i had one judge who was really grumpy and i was getting really nervous and scared

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigsaz)
    Hi there!

What stage are you at currently?

If I am correct in thinking that you are just shadowing, and are not qualified to speak or advise, then you have no rights of audience in a court room (no right to speak) and so there is absolutely nothing for you to be saying to a Judge. Other than dressing smartly and standing when the Judge enters and leaves the room, there is not much else for you to consider in terms of etiquette. Like you said, arriving late really is a no no and realistically, you should not be allowed entry to a court room if a hearing is already in progress.

You can also gain some experience in criminal courts by sitting in the viewing area. Go to your local court and ask the usher what cases are on today/which one would be good to watch and I'm sure they'll point you in the right direction. Again, no rights of audience - just standing for the Judge.

Hope this helps!
    Yeah that really helped thank you so much !!!! so just to sum what you said up i legit just need to stand when the judge leaves and enters.

and i guess when you do have the right to speak as a professional am i right in believing that you learn as you develop as a solicitor.

ReputationRep:
    OHH thanks !!!! its only because i had one judge who was really grumpy and i was getting really nervous and scared
    Some judges are just curmudgeonly. They expected to go to the Court of Appeal, and instead they're 3 years out from retirement and they're hearing about someone knocking out their girlfriend.

ReputationRep:
    Some judges are just curmudgeonly. They expected to go to the Court of Appeal, and instead they're 3 years out from retirement and they're hearing about someone knocking out their girlfriend.
    YEAHHH i know right but anyway thanks so much for the advice

ReputationRep:
    YEAHHH i know right but anyway thanks so much for the advice
    You're saying that, but I don't think you are.

My most serious answer is that you are overthinking the etiquette issue. If there is a true problem, someone would have told you.

ReputationRep:
    You're saying that, but I don't think you are.

My most serious answer is that you are overthinking the etiquette issue. If there is a true problem, someone would have told you.
    What do u mean elaboratee?????

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.