Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I currently have a 3 year old laptop, which is so slowly giving up on me. It is ALWAYS on 100% CPU. I have access to computers at school, so if I need to type up an essay I’ll be okay. What I want is something to watch YouTube or Netflix on, as well as research homework. Should I get a tablet instead? However since my old laptop is giving up on me I will need a new laptop for university (currently in year 12) so is it worth shelling out on a new laptop now? I currently don’t have a lot of money to my name, so I can’t afford a MacBook which would be perfect. Should I get a laptop or a tablet?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Laptop. Researching on a tablet is pretty painful work. Multitasking just isn't the same.

You can also get 2-in-1s that let you switch between laptop and tablet on the fly but I've not used one myself to see what they're like. I imagine they're quite compromised - too small for a laptop, too chunky for a tablet.

If you're on a tight budget I would keep checking Dell Outlet regularly and see if you can get a bargain on there. You don't need a beast machine to do what you want. I saw last night you can get a 15" laptop with light damage for £160. It was pretty difficult not to buy it for the sake of it...
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by hadiyahxo)
      I currently have a 3 year old laptop, which is so slowly giving up on me. It is ALWAYS on 100% CPU. I have access to computers at school, so if I need to type up an essay I’ll be okay. What I want is something to watch YouTube or Netflix on, as well as research homework. Should I get a tablet instead? However since my old laptop is giving up on me I will need a new laptop for university (currently in year 12) so is it worth shelling out on a new laptop now? I currently don’t have a lot of money to my name, so I can’t afford a MacBook which would be perfect. Should I get a laptop or a tablet?
      Get a laptop since you may need it to write Cv's and uni assignments etc. I'm still deciding on my own laptop, so to add to the other posters reply, have a look at the Surface Pro's line of 2 in 1's since those have pretty good specifications (a bit pricey mind). Make sure you get a laptop with enough storage, if you want to see what's 'in' have a look around PC world (you don't have to buy anything), or watch some reviews on YouTube. Also, you should be able to get some sort of student discount depending on where you buy it from (you may need a NUS card, if you haven't)
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      Why not both?
      For uni work and research or writing I would suggest something with a proper keyboard (so laptop). You can get laptops with touch screens that fold into tablets though.
      Lenovo have a YOGA range that does that (it's the only one I know about, but there are more). You can get them small enough that you can comfortably hold them as a tablet and windows has a "tablet mode" so when you are using it as a tablet it will behave like one (simpler menus etc). Only issue I have with mine is that it gets hot so I probably wouldn't want to hold it much... I think that's more to do with how I use it that the laptop itself though.
      It's a good compromise. With Christmas coming up I would personally wait and ask for some contributions to a 2in1.
      • TSR Support Team
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by hadiyahxo)
      Hi there!

This thread should be in the Laptops forum. I'll just tag AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there

ReputationRep:
      I have both. Use the computer more often because the screen is bigger and it is much either to work on Office in PC than the applications.
      The bigger screen is more comfortable for me probably because of my eyesight and the fact that I am not wearing glasses most of the day. Tablet and smartphone are very good tool when I need to read a book, again, I can make the font larger, I did it when I was a student with a few books just took a picture of the pages and made the font much bigger and it was so easy to read in the bus. The rest of the time I prefered the laptop

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.