Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Plagiarism check says my work is 22% plagiarised what does this mean Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acidy)
    It means that your submission has aspects which are 20% similar to previous submissions (turnitin I'm guessing)

Although every University has its own policy, I doubt 20% would be enough to flag your work up as plagiarised.
    yeah my uni does use that
    i told to a lecturer and ahe seemed concerned and slighly pissed off about it saying it shouldnt be anywhere near 20%
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harry7788)
    yeah my uni does use that
    i told to a lecturer and ahe seemed concerned and slighly pissed off about it saying it shouldnt be anywhere near 20%
    They'll either contact you about it or they won't. If the assessment doesn't contribute to your overall mark, I doubt they will but they may still record the fact it was unusual. Obviously only you know whether or not your work is original. If it's unusual for the majority of students to get over 22% and you genuinely don't think you did anything wrong you should pre-emotively contact your tutor and discuss it with him. It could be an error, or you could have plagiarised by mistake - it happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harry7788)
    my lecturer seemed fairly pissed off when i told her about it and she seemed prietty clear that i must of copyed and pasted my
    work even at just above 20% which i clearly havent
    I mean, it takes 5 minutes to check whether it's actually plagiarised. Turnitin also doesn't take into account if you've referenced something.

If she's new to the system and other students didn't score nearly that high then I could see her misunderstanding the situation.

ReputationRep:
    Turnitin isn't saying 'your work is 22% plagiarised'. It's saying that about a fifth of it is similar (or the same) as other sources in it's database. As others have said, if it's all referenced correctly, and as long as you haven't just copy-and-pasted other peoples' work then you'll be fine. Some common phrases will increase the percentage - the expression "According to a recent study..." is likely to come up in lots of uni work, and is obviously not plagiarism. If you use lots of cliches like this your percentage will go up. The report you get tells you where the similarities are, and as long as you haven't just copied big chunks from elsewhere you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    is it TurnedIn? If so, it should show you which parts are similar, if it's references and names or quotes etc then you should be fine as your markers can see this
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Check out http://copyscape.com where you will learn all your looking for, plus you can check any text for plagiarism for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    Turnitin also doesn't take into account if you've referenced something.
    It depends on the lecturer's settings for the assignment. If they don't pick the option to ignore bibliographies, they'll still be counted. But it's still pretty obvious from TII results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeaAndLifting)
    It depends on the lecturer's settings for the assignment. If they don't pick the option to ignore bibliographies, they'll still be counted. But it's still pretty obvious from TII results.
    I wasn't referring to the Bibliography, I was referring to the content being referenced and the tag you put with it.

If they didn't pick the option to ignore bibliographies then I imagine most people in their class would get a similar rating.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.