Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know there's many posts like this so I apologise but I really want to do medicine and I'm wondering if these grades are good enough?
    GCSEs: 2A* 3As 3Bs 2Ds
    This was in the top five best GCSEs in my year, my school is very low performing with not even 50% achieving Cs in maths and english, will this be taken into consideration by universities?
    The Ds were in art subjects but I was only a couple UMS off Cs
    Two of my Bs were also quite close to As, one was only 5 UMS off
    What are my chances if I get any of these A levels combinations?
    AAA
    A*A*A
    A*A*A*
    Along with this I expect to get an A/B in EPQ and will also be doing work experience.
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Some Unis will look at the context in which you achieved your GCSE grades, and your referee can include that you were in the top % of your cohort in your reference when you apply.

Also, if the school is that bad you might qualify for some lower offer schemes? Many of these rely on your postcode having a low progression to uni etc. but some are also dependent on household income and if your parents went to uni, but the household income isn't always very low. For example, university of Birmingham have an "A2B" scheme where your household income has to be below around 45k (I'm not sure exactly), and their website tells you where you can check if your postcode is accepted.

It's worth doing research into any kind of these widening participation schemes, some Unis also offer reduced offers or extra help if you do a summer school with them.

In terms of A100 "normal" entry route medicine, I would say yes you have a chance. Even if you don't get an offer pre-A level, you can always take a year and re apply once you have your A levels in the bag. Unis favour this as you're not as "risky" having already achieved good A level grades. Good luck
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsg9)
    Some Unis will look at the context in which you achieved your GCSE grades, and your referee can include that you were in the top % of your cohort in your reference when you apply.

Also, if the school is that bad you might qualify for some lower offer schemes? Many of these rely on your postcode having a low progression to uni etc. but some are also dependent on household income and if your parents went to uni, but the household income isn't always very low. For example, university of Birmingham have an "A2B" scheme where your household income has to be below around 45k (I'm not sure exactly), and their website tells you where you can check if your postcode is accepted.

It's worth doing research into any kind of these widening participation schemes, some Unis also offer reduced offers or extra help if you do a summer school with them.

In terms of A100 "normal" entry route medicine, I would say yes you have a chance. Even if you don't get an offer pre-A level, you can always take a year and re apply once you have your A levels in the bag. Unis favour this as you're not as "risky" having already achieved good A level grades. Good luck
    Thanks a lot for that reply, it's really useful!
    I had briefly heard about offers to do with postcodes but I didn't quite understand at first, I will definitely look up into some of these schemes, my household income is in fact below 45k, is there anywhere in particular you'd recommend that I could read up on these things?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zzzborn2)
    Thanks a lot for that reply, it's really useful!
    I had briefly heard about offers to do with postcodes but I didn't quite understand at first, I will definitely look up into some of these schemes, my household income is in fact below 45k, is there anywhere in particular you'd recommend that I could read up on these things?
    A quick google for "uni of ...... medicine widening participation" or a browse around the University websites you're interested in. Also, if you search "medical schools council 2018 entry requirements" you'll find a PDF with all the entry requirements for med schools in the UK, and at the bottom of each there is a "widening participation" section which should send you in the right direction. Hope that helps.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsg9)
    A quick google for "uni of ...... medicine widening participation" or a browse around the University websites you're interested in. Also, if you search "medical schools council 2018 entry requirements" you'll find a PDF with all the entry requirements for med schools in the UK, and at the bottom of each there is a "widening participation" section which should send you in the right direction. Hope that helps.
    Okay, thanks a bunch once again

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.