Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently trying to sort out my uni options, so far I'm sure of applying to manchester (AAA), sheffield (AAA) and Leeds (A*AA)

I'm predicted A*AA in maths, further maths and physics, and got AA at AS, but I'm looking for Unis with lower entry requirements (AAB or below) just incase I fall short in the exams. Preferably a MEng course, still a good uni, and in the north of the uk (ish) . Any help?

ReputationRep:
    You can just apply to BEng courses and then transfer onto the MEng after year 2, with no friction whatsoever providing you get a 2:1, or even lower at some unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    You can just apply to BEng courses and then transfer onto the MEng after year 2, with no friction whatsoever providing you get a 2:1, or even lower at some unis.
    If you apply to the MEng and don't get the grades but meet the BEng requirements most unis will just offer you a place on the BEng anyway.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student-95)
    If you apply to the MEng and don't get the grades but meet the BEng requirements most unis will just offer you a place on the BEng anyway.
    True, but it's still not a concrete offer, if the uni has over recruited (not uncommon as a lot of unis are maxing out the space they have now that course size limits aren't imposed) it is well within their rights to reject you if you meet the BEng offer but not the MEng.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by floralandfading)
    I'm currently trying to sort out my uni options, so far I'm sure of applying to manchester (AAA), sheffield (AAA) and Leeds (A*AA)

I'm predicted A*AA in maths, further maths and physics, and got AA at AS, but I'm looking for Unis with lower entry requirements (AAB or below) just incase I fall short in the exams. Preferably a MEng course, still a good uni, and in the north of the uk (ish) . Any help?
    Hi Floralandfading

I am pretty sure that all 'good universities' require grades AAA+ in Mechanical Engineering MEng. But, you could do a BEng degree at Newcastle university (Russell group uni) which requires grades ABB - AAB. You will then have the choice to move from the BEng course to the MEng course in the second year providing you have done well.

There is also many other 'good universities' in the north that require less than AAA for a BEng course in Mechanical Engineering so just look around if you want to follow the BEng route, if not then it will be hard to find good uni's with requirements less than AAA for MEng Mechanical Engineering but best of luck to you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.