Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A level geography investigation: data analysis Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am investigating whether or not there is a relationship between ice flow and how the landscape looks today. Part of the data I collected was the size of moraines within the corrie we looked at (Cwm Idwal) and I have represented this as a proportional circles map where each moraine has been geolocated and the centre of the circle is the point of geolocation.
    However, upon drawing the map and coming to analysis, I have noticed that there is no significant pattern of moraines, and that the size of moraines which I measured is random around the corrie.
    How do I analyse this? Do i have to state that there is no pattern and it is likely to be caused by the ice flowing in slighlty different directions during each glaciation?
    Any help would be appreciated- this is in for a week tomorrow (3.11.17).

ReputationRep:
    Currently in my 3rd year at uni studying geography, what pattern were you expecting to see? Also what other data have collected? Not entirely sure what question you're trying to answer as landforms in a cirque (corrie) will almost definitely have been formed by some kind of ice flow.

ReputationRep:
    I have collected a bit of gradient data, which I supplemented with secondary data, size and location of moraines (only width and length) , location of erratics, length and height of roche moutonnées and direction of striations.
    I was expecting to see larger moraines further away from the tarn, as this is where the suggested direction of ice flow is, and then progressively smaller ones closer to the tarn.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.