Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't know what to do at university Watch

ReputationRep:
    Should I take a gap year?

Yes. Take the pressure off making a decision this year and take more time to make the correct one next year.

ReputationRep:
      I'm assuming you're in year 13 or just about to apply for the 2018 academic cycle? If so and you do not know what you want to do at university I would for sure take a gap year. Go traveling or something you like while also thinking what your favourite things to do are. Maybe with that year out and away from education you will make a better informed choice. Problem is if you dive into a course you sort of like in the coming September and you don't like it, you've lost a year of student finance and time

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FXX)
      Yes. Take the pressure off making a decision this year and take more time to make the correct one next year.
      How do universities view gap years?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by NKSSSSS09)
      I'm assuming you're in year 13 or just about to apply for the 2018 academic cycle? If so and you do not know what you want to do at university I would for sure take a gap year. Go traveling or something you like while also thinking what your favourite things to do are. Maybe with that year out and away from education you will make a better informed choice. Problem is if you dive into a course you sort of like in the coming September and you don't like it, you've lost a year of student finance and time
      How do universities view gap years

(Original post by man111111)
        How do universities view gap years?
        It depends what you do with the time and how you sell yourself in your personal statement.

The university doesn't really care whether you're 18/19/20, they want the right students. If you've taken a year away to work out what you really want to do they will see it as a good thing. It's easier to write a personal statement when you've got a whole extra year to talk about.

If you drop out after 6 months they lose a lot of money. If you can prove you'll stay the distance they'll take you on.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources
      Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.