Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am an undergrad and it’s been almost two years since I switched my diet from “regular” to becoming a pescatarian. Most times i don’t get to eat properly (p.s im on calorie counting to lose weight- “my fitness pal”) and i don’t get enough nutrients. Sometimes I’m waiting and wishing for class to end because I can’t focus. Any advice?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nursetobe26)
    I am an undergrad and it’s been almost two years since I switched my diet from “regular” to becoming a pescatarian. Most times i don’t get to eat properly (p.s im on calorie counting to lose weight- “my fitness pal”) and i don’t get enough nutrients. Sometimes I’m waiting and wishing for class to end because I can’t focus. Any advice?
    If the diet is affecting your ability to focus and interfering with your uni work, you really need to change it. Calorie counting is normally not the best way to lose weight and keep it off in the long-term. Maybe there could be a better ratio between diet and exercise, where you could then be more lenient with food and get the nutrients you need!

ReputationRep:
    how many calories do u eat a day vs how many do you need?
    you shouldn't really be on anything more than a 400deficit, anything more and your concentration would be affected for sure
    its not hard to get all the nutrients you need from everything you already eat, maybe chuck in some more fruit?
    drink lots of water

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angrypoliceman)
    how many calories do u eat a day vs how many do you need?
    you shouldn't really be on anything more than a 400deficit, anything more and your concentration would be affected for sure
    its not hard to get all the nutrients you need from everything you already eat, maybe chuck in some more fruit?
    drink lots of water
    I’m on a restriction of 1,570 calories per day. It’s very hard sometimes. Like today I only had half a bagel with cheese and a pack of cheese itz. I have class from 10 am- 2pm. I’m starving. But I’m going to eat now. I usually have good memory and some things are hard to process now. Specifically biology 👀
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I’m on a restriction of 1,570 calories per day. It’s very hard sometimes. Like today I only had half a bagel with cheese and a pack of cheese itz. I have class from 10 am- 2pm. I’m starving. But I’m going to eat now. I usually have good memory and some things are hard to process now. Specifically biology 👀
    eat more- see if it improves.(try to keep the deficit tho)
    no point making class harder because of ur diet

ReputationRep:
    Make up the deficit with exercise. 50 minutes on the stairmill can burn 500 calories easy, more if you go hard. Then just eat at your usual maintenance calories to lose around a pound per week depending on how many days you can do the stairmill on.

The stairmill is vastly superior to running. You can play with intervals and it's easier to track progress because you can count calories burned by steps, so it's like 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 - 2 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 - 3 2 3 4 5 6 7 8. It makes it go quicker and prevents boredom. You can do 10 reps of 8 steps per interval, and toggle from high speed to slow speed and pyramid down. So 15 speed, 3 speed, 14 speed, 3 speed, 13 speed, 3 speed.

It goes quickly because your brain is occupied. And you get in a sort of "trance" state with exercise, so the second half appears to go much quicker.

Also purchase a Multivitamin to make up for deficiencies. The ones on the internet are probably better but I just get Wellman because I can get it easily in Tesco without waiting for annoying Royal Mail packages that are constantly missed.

Or if you don't get bored easily, just do 50 minutes at speed setting 5 without intervals or counting.

Do the exercise fasted so you can eat afterwards. If you eat before you will just want to eat again after and wreck the deficit by double-dosing food.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.