Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any tips on personal statements??
    And what to include? I’ve written about my subjects, my experience and how I’d benefit the uni (by joining societies)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Have you written about why you want to study the course? Seems obvious, but the amount of people in my tutor who haven't written much on this is unbelievable... For Architecture, I wrote about how a specific building helped me to see the creativity involved with the design process, and how it drove me to apply for Architecture.

ReputationRep:
    Ive kind of touched on it, because I want to study business with finance, I said working in our family business gave me an insight of how businesses are run which pushed me to wanting to study business.. should I expand on it in a separate paragraph?
    At the same time though I feel like mentioning a family business would show I’m only studying business because my family does it, which is not the case

ReputationRep:
    Because its a PS and theres a word limit, i dont think you should write about how you would benefit the uni.
    -instead talk about why you will suit the course and why you have chosen it
    - always link your experiences to attributes you have and why its important for the course or career
    -talk more about yourself and also the subjects you study
    - make the conclusion short and impactful (summarise the PS)
    - dont be exaggerative
    - dont make any jokes

ReputationRep:
    It also helps going through each line with a mate or someone whose a perfectionist to find any faults
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r.ak)
    Anyone got any tips on personal statements??
    And what to include? I’ve written about my subjects, my experience and how I’d benefit the uni (by joining societies)
    You need to talk about what you’re GOING to study not about what you’re currently studying.

Which topics are you looking forward to? What research have you done on those topics in your own time? Are there any recent news stories that are relevant to them that you’ve been following?

Your PS isn’t a life story or an essay about your A levels. It’s there to convince admissions staff that you know what you’re signing up to study and that you’re interested and motivated enough to get through 3+ years of self motivated study of that course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N/A IS THE NAME)
    Because its a PS and theres a word limit, i dont think you should write about how you would benefit the uni.
    -instead talk about why you will suit the course and why you have chosen it
    - always link your experiences to attributes you have and why its important for the course or career
    -talk more about yourself and also the subjects you study
    - make the conclusion short and impactful (summarise the PS)
    - dont be exaggerative
    - dont make any jokes
    Okay thank youuuu!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    You need to talk about what you’re GOING to study not about what you’re currently studying.

Which topics are you looking forward to? What research have you done on those topics in your own time? Are there any recent news stories that are relevant to them that you’ve been following?

Your PS isn’t a life story or an essay about your A levels. It’s there to convince admissions staff that you know what you’re signing up to study and that you’re interested and motivated enough to get through 3+ years of self motivated study of that course.
    Okayy thanks a lott

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.