Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NHS jaw surgery for underbite Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have a pretty bad underbite and I'm super self conscious about it. It is something that's always on my mind and affects the way I smile, eat and talk.

I'm constantly worrying if anyone has seen me from the side and am always making an effort to hold my jaw back to make it appear less severe. I also have never worn my hair up willingly in public before and always have it down and coverng the sides of my face so no one will see my underbite. It has made me so insecure and I have zero self esteem. I imagine people who have had/have an underbite have felt this way too.

I've been going to my orthodontist since I was about 11 and I'm currently 16 (girl), I want to have this surgery done as soon as possible.
    Some info: Have never worn any braces, got wisdom teeth out this summer and got put on the waiting list for surgery around may/june.

I have a few questions for people who have had this surgery -

1. What age were you when you had it done?
    2. How long did you have to wait?
    3. Did the braces make your underbite worse? and by how much? (haven't got them yet and am quite worried)
    4. Did you HAVE to wear the braces for a year or can it be shorter?
    5. Did you like how your face looked after it and was the shape of your nose different at all? (saw a few youtube videos where the person's nose changed quite a lot after)

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gashinaaaa)
    Hi, I have a pretty bad underbite and I'm super self conscious about it. It is something that's always on my mind and affects the way I smile, eat and talk.

I'm constantly worrying if anyone has seen me from the side and am always making an effort to hold my jaw back to make it appear less severe. I also have never worn my hair up willingly in public before and always have it down and coverng the sides of my face so no one will see my underbite. It has made me so insecure and I have zero self esteem. I imagine people who have had/have an underbite have felt this way too.

I've been going to my orthodontist since I was about 11 and I'm currently 16 (girl), I want to have this surgery done as soon as possible.
    Some info: Have never worn any braces, got wisdom teeth out this summer and got put on the waiting list for surgery around may/june.

I have a few questions for people who have had this surgery -

1. What age were you when you had it done?
    2. How long did you have to wait?
    3. Did the braces make your underbite worse? and by how much? (haven't got them yet and am quite worried)
    4. Did you HAVE to wear the braces for a year or can it be shorter?
    5. Did you like how your face looked after it and was the shape of your nose different at all? (saw a few youtube videos where the person's nose changed quite a lot after)

Thanks!
    I had my surgery this August to correct my underbite.

1. I was 18 when I had the surgery as my orthodontist said that we had to wait until I stopped growing in case of the underbite relapsing.
    2. I think the question is in regards to how long I had to wait for the surgery. This depends on where you are having the surgery done as each hospital will vary in waiting list length. For me I think I saw my surgeon in December last year and we agreed that the operation would take place in July as I was currently doing my A-levels and I didn't want to miss any school. Unfortunately the day before my operation was supposed to take place the hospital called to cancel the op and they said they would call back later to rearrange a new date. However they did not call back. Eventually the hospital got back to me; after i had repeated called them and gone in to the department to complain about the lack of commutation. For that reason I think they tried to schedule me in as early as possible as the new date for the operation was in August. However I have heard that for other people who have had cancelled jaw surgery operations they have had to wait significantly longer than I did for a new date.
    3. Like you I was also really self conscious about my underbite however I'm not sure whether the braces did make my underbite worse.
    4. My orthodontist told me that I had to wear braces for 2 years before the operation. I wore braces for just over 2 years however I think my teeth were in the correct position just under 2 years as that was when my orthodontist stopped changed the wires.
    5. I am now much more confident with the shape of my face. Just like you I used to wear my hair down and tried to cover the sides of my face with my hair; now I no longer do that. I did notice a slight change in the shape of my nose as the tip of my nose points up a little bit. Its not a significant difference and I was the only person to really notice it.

I hope these answers are useful and feel free to ask me other questions as I know that I was very curious about the surgery and the effects of it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.