Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am predicted A*AA for my A levels in maths, further maths and physics. I am applying to Bath,Bristol,Imperial,Southampto n and Nottingham. Is this a good or bad as 4 of my choices are competitive. How likely is it that i get no offers?

ReputationRep:
    It would depend on each course's requirements, if your predicted grades all match those courses and you have straight As at AS (or perhaps AAAB), then you have a good chance of getting at least one offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omzie)
    I am predicted A*AA for my A levels in maths, further maths and physics. I am applying to Bath,Bristol,Imperial,Southampto n and Nottingham. Is this a good or bad as 4 of my choices are competitive. How likely is it that i get no offers?
    Imperial is a bit of a long shot, as most of their engineering courses ask for A*A*A if you’re only doing three a levels.

Southampton and Nottingham you should be fine for, as long as you have decent GCSEs and a good personal statement.

Not really sure about Bath and Bristol.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omzie)
    which kind of engineering have you applied to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    which kind of engineering have you applied to?
    aerospace/aeronautical
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omzie)
    aerospace/aeronautical
    Depends if you're comfortable with having a one grade drop as an insurance choice, i would say it would be a good idea to swap one for something lower if you can find one you ll be happy with.

ReputationRep:
    I would swap out one of Bath, Bristol or Southampton for somewhere with an AAA/AAB offer, maybe even Imperial because it doesn't actually offer a higher quality aero course, the only potential advantages it has are its F1 links and living in London. They each offer quite different courses and locations so it shouldn't be too difficult to do.

Personally I would drop Southampton out of those because the course quality isn't great from what I've seen and they really over-advertise what they do have. It's also in a small city which is a thing that a lot of people end up hating, and while Bath is in a similar situation they have a free bus to Bristol so you have easy access to all the things that a larger city brings.

ReputationRep:
    I got offers from Nottingham and Southampton already and I only had AAA predictions but I received offers less than a week after applying so you should be good, abit of a risk not having an insurance choice just in case? (Although my offer was for biosciences not sure of engineering entry requirements)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I got all offers already (bristol, southampton and nottingham are also my choices) and i applied for civil engineering. i didnt even have physics or any other science but maths and still got the offers, so of course you have better chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    I got all offers already (bristol, southampton and nottingham are also my choices) and i applied for civil engineering. i didnt even have physics or any other science but maths and still got the offers, so of course you have better chance.
    Congratulations on your offers. What were your AS subjects and grades if you do not mind me asking?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omzie)
    Congratulations on your offers. What were your AS subjects and grades if you do not mind me asking?
    I take maths, geography and history as well as Welsh bacc. which all the unis accept as an a level grade if i wish to swap it out for a bad grade e.g history

at AS i got AAC + Merit. C in history, and merit in welsh bacc. :-) not the best grades and im trying so hard to push up the history grade to B or else i'd have to work hard on the welsh bacc thing which is a bit boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omzie)
    I think you're good if you're confident about getting the entry requirements. I thought I was reaching with some Russel Groups (like York and Newcastle), but they accepted me. Bath and Imperial seem the most challenging, but I think you have Nottingham and Southampton down. Don't stress.

ReputationRep:
    I take maths, geography and history as well as Welsh bacc. which all the unis accept as an a level grade if i wish to swap it out for a bad grade e.g history

at AS i got AAC + Merit. C in history, and merit in welsh bacc. :-) not the best grades and im trying so hard to push up the history grade to B or else i'd have to work hard on the welsh bacc thing which is a bit boring.
    i got AB (Maths, Further maths). I got a C in physics but universities said AS Physics does not count and they do not look at it because it is linear. I will make Nottingham my insurance AAB offer. Hopefully Bristol accepts me, i really want to go there.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omzie)
    i got AB (Maths, Further maths). I got a C in physics but universities said AS Physics does not count and they do not look at it because it is linear. I will make Nottingham my insurance AAB offer. Hopefully Bristol accepts me, i really want to go there.
    physics is so hard! i kind of regret not taking it because it limited my engineering options, but at the same time i didnt want sleepless nights either i really like bristol as well. want to firm bristol and insurance either cardiff or southampton but that's another dilemma i need a long time to think about. i heard southampton has really cool space facilities if that's what you like?

ReputationRep:
    physics is so hard! i kind of regret not taking it because it limited my engineering options, but at the same time i didnt want sleepless nights either i really like bristol as well. want to firm bristol and insurance either cardiff or southampton but that's another dilemma i need a long time to think about. i heard southampton has really cool space facilities if that's what you like?
    Yh Southampton has great facilities. Only problem is my teacher is deciding whether to predict me an A or B in physics which is really annoying because all of the unis i want ask for an A in physics.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.