The Student Room Group

Should I learn about Calculus or Linear Algebra before starting university ?

Hello,

Currently I'm in the 12th grade and I'm pretty good at coding I've created my own web based applications on the JavaScript and trying to improve myself about programming. Also I'm interested in math especially Algebra is really enjoyable for me but nevertheless I usually don't get high scores on math.

Will it be a problem for the Computer Science major ? In the Turkey they don't teach Calculus or Linear Algebra so, should I start to learn these things or am I going to learn in the university ? I believe IT is one of the fields that based on math and analytical problem solving therefore I'm trying improve myself on the math as much as possible.

Thanks.
It really depends on the uni.

Some Universities, like Warwick or Loughborough, want an A at a-level Maths; whereas others, such as Nottingham,or Lancaster, only want high grades in Computing specifically.

I'm in the same boat don't worry.
Original post by ProgrammerC
Hello,

Currently I'm in the 12th grade and I'm pretty good at coding I've created my own web based applications on the JavaScript and trying to improve myself about programming. Also I'm interested in math especially Algebra is really enjoyable for me but nevertheless I usually don't get high scores on math.

Will it be a problem for the Computer Science major ? In the Turkey they don't teach Calculus or Linear Algebra so, should I start to learn these things or am I going to learn in the university ? I believe IT is one of the fields that based on math and analytical problem solving therefore I'm trying improve myself on the math as much as possible.

Thanks.

Learning LinAlg might give you a slight head-start (and give you something to talk about in your P.S.), but the university will teach it right from the basics, anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending