Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm at a bit of a dilemma. As an overseas student, I absolutely need a scholarship in order to be able to attend either Cambridge or Oxford. Both universities offer the course I want. I feel as though my chances of being admitted to Oxford are higher, however, once admitted, my chances of receiving a scholarship are very low (Reach Oxford Scholarship & St. John's Scholarship). Cambridge, on the other hand, seems harder to get into, however, receiving a scholarship (Trinity Overseas Bursary) seems more likely.
    What should I do??
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal6067)
    I'm at a bit of a dilemma. As an overseas student, I absolutely need a scholarship in order to be able to attend either Cambridge or Oxford. Both universities offer the course I want. I feel as though my chances of being admitted to Oxford are higher, however, once admitted, my chances of receiving a scholarship are very low (Reach Oxford Scholarship & St. John's Scholarship). Cambridge, on the other hand, seems harder to get into, however, receiving a scholarship (Trinity Overseas Bursary) seems more likely.
    What should I do??
    Which course(s) are you considering?

On what basis do you think the bursaries are harder/easier to get?

Have you researched scholarships, etc offered or targeted at your home country?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Which course(s) are you considering?

On what basis do you think the bursaries are harder/easier to get?

Have you researched scholarships, etc offered or targeted at your home country?
    I am considering applying to Mathematics at both universities as they both have a mathematics with physics option.
    I said that the Trinity Overseas Bursary seems easier to get because while 11 of them are rewarded per year, only 2 or 3 Reach Oxford Scholarships are awarded. Furthermore, the ROS is available to any overseas offer-holder to the university, while the Trinity Overseas Bursary is only available to those who hold offers from Trinity.

I have researched scholarships in my home country but most of the information is outdated. I live in Egypt, and it isn't really heard of for someone to receive a scholarship from a local NGO

Thoughts?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal6067)
    I am considering applying to Mathematics at both universities as they both have a mathematics with physics option.
    I said that the Trinity Overseas Bursary seems easier to get because while 11 of them are rewarded per year, only 2 or 3 Reach Oxford Scholarships are awarded. Furthermore, the ROS is available to any overseas offer-holder to the university, while the Trinity Overseas Bursary is only available to those who hold offers from Trinity.

I have researched scholarships in my home country but most of the information is outdated. I live in Egypt, and it isn't really heard of for someone to receive a scholarship from a local NGO

Thoughts?
    Good research . (Sources?)

Trinity it is then... you also have the NatSci route for Physics if you want to avoid STEP..
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.