Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I recently started Y12, studying the A Level combination of Maths, English Language, Computing and Theatre Studies.
    It's been a bit of a rough ride, however, and I'd be open to any opinions on the matter.

I picked these subjects with the intent of going onto a Software Engineering course- English and Theatre I picked just because I enjoy them and do well in them. I enjoyed all of these subjects back at GCSE level, apart from Maths, which I've always struggled with; I did end up getting a Grade 7, though, which allowed me to do the A Level course.

Now, however, I'm considering changing. I only picked Maths because I had to, and I'm really not enjoying it. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate it, and I enjoy it when I can do it, but we get set a minimum of a weekly 'task' sheet every week, which I absolutely cannot do independently. On the front it says it takes 2 hours, but I've definitely spent 6 on it before. It seems like I understand the new things I am being taught in lesson, but not much else.

As well as this, I'm finding Computing less than thrilling also. My teacher doesn't really 'teach' us the concepts, but sets them for self study (from a book that is apparently 'full of errors' and won't get us up to a grade C!). As well as this, there is obviously homework for the subject, and this combined with the 'independent' class work means I am left with a lot to do at home. This week I have had 20 tasks to do for this subject alone, as well as revising (or more like self-teaching) some topics for a test coming up. This makes me hate the subject a bit, to be honest.

I did think that I'd be able to cope with the difficulty, but add on a 1.5-2 hour journey home, and it's becoming a struggle.

I've been considering dropping the two and picking up English Lit instead, but I'm not entirely sure. I don't know where this would lead me, or even if I could catch up, but I also fear I'll fail the other two.

Sorry if I have been a bit unclear about anything in this post...
    Could anyone offer their thoughts?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeacupAndTragedy)
    Hi everyone!

I recently started Y12, studying the A Level combination of Maths, English Language, Computing and Theatre Studies.
    It's been a bit of a rough ride, however, and I'd be open to any opinions on the matter.

I picked these subjects with the intent of going onto a Software Engineering course- English and Theatre I picked just because I enjoy them and do well in them. I enjoyed all of these subjects back at GCSE level, apart from Maths, which I've always struggled with; I did end up getting a Grade 7, though, which allowed me to do the A Level course.

Now, however, I'm considering changing. I only picked Maths because I had to, and I'm really not enjoying it. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate it, and I enjoy it when I can do it, but we get set a minimum of a weekly 'task' sheet every week, which I absolutely cannot do independently. On the front it says it takes 2 hours, but I've definitely spent 6 on it before. It seems like I understand the new things I am being taught in lesson, but not much else.

As well as this, I'm finding Computing less than thrilling also. My teacher doesn't really 'teach' us the concepts, but sets them for self study (from a book that is apparently 'full of errors' and won't get us up to a grade C!). As well as this, there is obviously homework for the subject, and this combined with the 'independent' class work means I am left with a lot to do at home. This week I have had 20 tasks to do for this subject alone, as well as revising (or more like self-teaching) some topics for a test coming up. This makes me hate the subject a bit, to be honest.

I did think that I'd be able to cope with the difficulty, but add on a 1.5-2 hour journey home, and it's becoming a struggle.

I've been considering dropping the two and picking up English Lit instead, but I'm not entirely sure. I don't know where this would lead me, or even if I could catch up, but I also fear I'll fail the other two.

Sorry if I have been a bit unclear about anything in this post...
    Could anyone offer their thoughts?

Thanks!
    Literally I think every textbook is full of errors I found so many really random spelling mistakes and line changes in my bio and chem textbooks but some of the content the teachers claim is "wrong" but half the time they contradict the textbook and it's hilarious- well - not really it kinda sucks cause u have no idea of: what to learn and who to believe.
    My fellow year 12 you'll be fine - A-levels suck , you probably think you suck at them too but literally everyone is in the same boat floating around the unknown of yr 12 and the daunting fear/ shadow of year-oh no - thir-teeeeeen 😂🔫
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by "RED")
    Literally I think every textbook is full of errors I found so many really random spelling mistakes and line changes in my bio and chem textbooks but some of the content the teachers claim is "wrong" but half the time they contradict the textbook and it's hilarious- well - not really it kinda sucks cause u have no idea of: what to learn and who to believe.
    My fellow year 12 you'll be fine - A-levels suck , you probably think you suck at them too but literally everyone is in the same boat floating around the unknown of yr 12 and the daunting fear/ shadow of year-oh no - thir-teeeeeen 😂🔫
    Definitely dreading Y13!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.