Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do I wear to a ‘meet the family’ wedding? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Normally I wouldn’t be stressed over this, then again, this isn’t the average wedding.

My boyfriends brother is getting married on the 6th November, and it will be my first time meeting the entire family! I’ve met his parents and his brother but from what I’ve heard they’re a very large family.

I want to make a good impression, which will be difficult as it is as I’m 18 and my partner is 27. Not only that, my partner was previously married ( only for 3 months mind... ) which was the last time all the family were together.

As you could imagine, I’m feeling pretty uneasy. I’m insisting on either a red or a black dress, which in my boyfriends eyes is either too depressing or too raunchy. Faire enough, whereas all of my other outfits are “going out” things, and wouldn’t be appropriate either.

Any ideas on a sophisticated, ‘good first impressions’ outfit. Much love x
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Something that isn't too revealing, something classy for a wedding. A red dress would be fine, provided it isn't revealing or too short.

ReputationRep:
    Wear a dress that is knee length and not revealing. I wouldn’t worry about the colour. Definitely don’t forget to wear your smile
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Wear something elegant and classy. Any colour... except white/cream/ivory because you don’t want to outrage the bride! About knee length would be good, possibly not a bodycon, maybe a fit and flare type dress? I’m sure if you look up on google ‘wedding guest dresses’ you can look at the images and get a idea from those. Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.