Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I haven't had a lot of time to revise for mocks, I did very well in my end of year 10 exams and I'm not worried about GCSEs, but if I do badly in my mocks, does it even matter or is it just irrelevant?

ReputationRep:
    Your mocks will be the closest experience you have to the real exam without it being the actual thing so it’s best to make the most of it and act as though it’s the real thing as it’s the closest representation you’ll get

ReputationRep:
    My school used it to scare people into trying harder.
    If they're meant to be representative, try hard to get a feel for what exams are like.

ReputationRep:
    mocks are still pretty important because they'll give you a fair idea of what subjects you're weaker/stronger at and any topics you need to pay particular attention to. They're not irrelevant but can help you achieve the highest grade possible in your real exam and give you a fair idea of the environment you'll be sitting the exams in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oksafebye)
    I haven't had a lot of time to revise for mocks, I did very well in my end of year 10 exams and I'm not worried about GCSEs, but if I do badly in my mocks, does it even matter or is it just irrelevant?
    Yeah they matter , if there your really mocks for you gcse they may use your results in your propper gcses if there is a fire in your gcse and you cant carry on . If they arent the really ones they still matter cos my schools used our results to see if we needed to go in extra intervension classes and i would of thought all schools run pretty much the same so they are quite important .
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elisha.l)
    Yeah they matter , if there your really mocks for you gcse they may use your results in your propper gcses if there is a fire in your gcse and you cant carry on .
    This is often said but mock results haven't been used to help determine a GCSE grade if you miss part of an actual GCSE for about 12 years..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elisha.l)
    Yeah they matter , if there your really mocks for you gcse they may use your results in your propper gcses if there is a fire in your gcse and you cant carry on . If they arent the really ones they still matter cos my schools used our results to see if we needed to go in extra intervension classes and i would of thought all schools run pretty much the same so they are quite important .
    We have MORE mocks at easter (hopefully by then i'll be more prepared) so if nothing happens to me by then I can probably use those results, the most recent ones are in 2 weeks and I'm finding it really hard to concentrate!! Plus my school makes you go to extra classes at lunch even if you're doing well

ReputationRep:
    it's just practice for you to the topic , that's no excuse to not revise and do bad , but if u tried hard and maybe didnt do aswell then u can highlight those errors and make sure u dont do them again , plus your in yr 10 so it dosent matter that much

ReputationRep:
    Do they impact your final grade? No.
    Are they the only real test of your memory that simulate an exam environment therefore are the closest you’ll get to knowing how well you’re actually gonna do in your final ones? Yes.

The amount of people in my A-Level psychology class who spent the entire 2 years (partially due to the teacher) who were never really tested, every essay was written at home, every mock they were given hints on what to revise - They never had a proper exam experience. And they were all shocked with their D/E/U grades because they don’t have prompts. Bear that in mind. Take your mocks seriously, for your own sake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ray_Shadows)
    it's just practice for you to the topic , that's no excuse to not revise and do bad , but if u tried hard and maybe didnt do aswell then u can highlight those errors and make sure u dont do them again , plus your in yr 10 so it dosent matter that much
    I'm in y11

ReputationRep:
    I'm in y11
    oh my bad , guess thats what i get for skim reading , i just saw the yr 10 bit and i assumed u were in yr 10 . Still makes no difference to what i said , gl

ReputationRep:
    Mocks DO matter. This is because when you are applying to 6th forms and colleges you have not yet sat your gcse's so they use mocks in order to decide whether they will give you a place or not. You can still get into your ideal college if you do badly in your mocks and do well in your GCSE's just there will not be a guaranteed place for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cactuss)
    Mocks DO matter. This is because when you are applying to 6th forms and colleges you have not yet sat your gcse's so they use mocks in order to decide whether they will give you a place or not. You can still get into your ideal college if you do badly in your mocks and do well in your GCSE's just there will not be a guaranteed place for you.
    No your teachers target grades are "determiners"...

ReputationRep:
    My Geography teacher told me that Y11 mock results may be looked at by colleges/sixth forms you choose to apply to. Mine are 2 weeks away so I'm as wary as you are! My advice would be to give it your best shot - they are the closest experience you'll get to your actual GCSEs!

But don't take your results personally either. Don't be too complacent or too self-critical. Try to stay calm and reasonable and you'll do great.

I hope I could help in some way!! AND GOOD LUCK!

ReputationRep:
    It depends what subject you’re wanting to take to A-level. For me I took maths at A-level and I only managed to get a B at GCSE’s. I know usually you’re accepted in that subject if you get a B, but because Maths has that big jump between GCSE and A-level, they weren’t going to accept me. But because I managed to get A* in most of my mocks, the head of department had a look at those and had a chat with my class teacher, I managed to get to take maths at A-level.

So to answer your question, yes it does matter. If you’re going to go to 6th form in the same school, then the mocks can play a part in case you didn’t get the grade in your actual exam and help you take the subject

ReputationRep:
    If you’re not worried about exams you’re probably going to underachieve. How come you haven’t had enough time to revise for mocks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reversed Flash)
    No your teachers target grades are "determiners"...
    nope you put both down but your mocks are a more accurate portrayal of how you'll do in your gcse's

ReputationRep:
    I got D’s and C’s in my mock (did no revision) but got A’s in my real thing. They don’t really matter but it’ll give you an idea of what it’s like.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.