Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

News: Sale of new cars in UK falling rapidly, why? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The main reason why sale of new cars is falling is not because of Brexit but because of the car tax increases made back in April 2017.
    Cars registered before then were eligible for low price tax from zero to £30 a year. Now the minimum tax on normal new cars is £140 a year upwards. Nobody in their right mind is gonna part with their low tax car to pay £140 a year on a new car. Once again this stupid government and the stupid EU is to blame.
    • Very Important Poster

Do you sit there all day trying to make up the most stupid threads possible?
    £140 is going to put people spending £10-40k on a new car? Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    Or perhaps it's because the government keep threatening to tax cars off the roads? I wouldn't shell out £10-20k on a car that the government could decide in 5 years time should be taxed off the road.

I currently drive a 2010 diesel that gets 65mpg and I was planning to replace it in 2020 with a newer car but with the government's treatment of people driving older cars and knowing mine will be worth nothing in 2020 as a result I will keep this car until the wheels fall off well into the mid 2020s.

It's not a good time to be buying a new car. I could see the government suddenly deciding to heavily tax anything that isn't electric or hybrid in 5 years time with the way things are going and then eventually anything that isn't electric. As long as I keep getting my high fuel efficiency I'll keep what I have.

Taxes like London's congestion zone, high parking fees and the clean air zone taxes the government are trying to introduce across the country can be avoided by parking in housing estates on the edges of cities and walking into the city centre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    The main reason why sale of new cars is falling is not because of Brexit but because of the car tax increases made back in April 2017.
    Cars registered before then were eligible for low price tax from zero to £30 a year. Now the minimum tax on normal new cars is £140 a year upwards. Nobody in their right mind is gonna part with their low tax car to pay £140 a year on a new car. Once again this stupid government and the stupid EU is to blame.
    You have made a complete contradiction. Falling car sales are not because of Brexit you say. It is the fault of our government you say. And it is also the fault of the EU you say?

How is it the fault of the EU when our government have imposed the new tax rules?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephiroth)
    I currently drive a 2010 diesel that gets 65mpg and I was planning to replace it in 2020 with a newer car but with the government's treatment of people driving older cars and knowing mine will be worth nothing in 2020 as a result I will keep this car until the wheels fall off well into the mid 2020s.
    A 10 year old car won't be worth much anyway. And as far as emissions go, keeping your car running is much more environmentally friendly than building a new car. My current car is 14 years old and cost me £250. Ok, so it costs £240 a year to tax but is essentially free motoring. And if it gets pranged in a car park, I couldn't care less.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I'm not convinced road tax is the issue here when you compare it to the cost of buying a new car vs buying a second hand one...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The OP is somewhat correct in that Brexit is not to blame, the real reason is that new car sales have been funded by lease agreements with low credit requirements. The BOE identified this as an issue and essentially told the banks to tighten their requirements.

ReputationRep:
    I see so many young people driving around in new cars in London.
    They must either be well off or living their entire lives on credit.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.