Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to get a placement in an NHS lab for your placement year and complete your portfolio within this time?

I want to become a Biomedical Scientist in the NHS after degree, so wondering if the Biomedical Science degree can provide me with this option. I know the other direct route to this, but out of curiosity, can the NHS placement be done without the need to do the other degree?

Can you try and arrange placements yourself? How does it work?

ReputationRep:
    The simple answer is yes. Would I want to risk it? Hells no.

A large factor is what hospital's are around you. Some laboratories are open to it and some aren't. You could potentially live in an area near to labs that have no interest in placement students for various reasons. At best, you might have 1 nearby and 1 that will take some travel to.

Now at most, these are only going to take 1 student per discipline and that's assuming all of the disciplines are accepting students. You can arrange the placement yourself, but getting it? Heck that's a challenge.

I personally didn't want to risk it. I took the Healthcare Science (Life Science) degree and graduated with registration after 3 years, not the 4 years you would do IF you got a placement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TraineeBMS)
    The simple answer is yes. Would I want to risk it? Hells no.

A large factor is what hospital's are around you. Some laboratories are open to it and some aren't. You could potentially live in an area near to labs that have no interest in placement students for various reasons. At best, you might have 1 nearby and 1 that will take some travel to.

Now at most, these are only going to take 1 student per discipline and that's assuming all of the disciplines are accepting students. You can arrange the placement yourself, but getting it? Heck that's a challenge.

I personally didn't want to risk it. I took the Healthcare Science (Life Science) degree and graduated with registration after 3 years, not the 4 years you would do IF you got a placement.
    Thanks for the reply.

I have considered the Healthcare Science degree, I'm just worried I wouldn't get accepted beyond interview since it's an option I've only recently considered and therefore I just don't have any lab work experience which other candidates can bring to the table.

If you don't mind me asking, what were your experiences like with the degree? Would you say it's easy to find employment as a Biomedical Scientist after completion or is the competition for jobs within the NHS just still too much for someone who's just graduated?

I know it seems a silly question since the degree is there to prepare you for employment within the NHS, but I'm just going off the assumption Biomedical Scientists with more experience would still be a priority in terms of recruitment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonygirl102)
    Thanks for the reply.

I have considered the Healthcare Science degree, I'm just worried I wouldn't get accepted beyond interview since it's an option I've only recently considered and therefore I just don't have any lab work experience which other candidates can bring to the table.

If you don't mind me asking, what were your experiences like with the degree? Would you say it's easy to find employment as a Biomedical Scientist after completion or is the competition for jobs within the NHS just still too much for someone who's just graduated?

I know it seems a silly question since the degree is there to prepare you for employment within the NHS, but I'm just going off the assumption Biomedical Scientists with more experience would still be a priority in terms of recruitment?
    All of my course walked straight into either further education or a BMS role.

You don't need experience before the degree you get that during it.

ReputationRep:
    All of my course walked straight into either further education or a BMS role.

You don't need experience before the degree you get that during it.
    Ah ok.

Sorry I meant, experience to put on my personal statement as it seems most people take part in some kind of work experience to put on to their personal statement.

Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonygirl102)
    Ah ok.

Sorry I meant, experience to put on my personal statement as it seems most people take part in some kind of work experience to put on to their personal statement.

Thanks for your help.

Not for this course, not really.

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, I'm a student who is thinking of doing biomedical science at uni if I don't get into medicine. I'm currently thinking of Surrey, Bath, or UCL.

I was wondering if going to a uni and doing a degree that is IBMS accredited will increase my job prospects? Because unis like UCL/Bath seem to be much more research focused than the IBMS accredited degrees. Would it be really hard to get a job in research after doing a BSc? Or would a placement year help me find a job?

Simply speaking, is it easier to get a job in the NHS or in research?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hydroxide)
    Hey there, I'm a student who is thinking of doing biomedical science at uni if I don't get into medicine. I'm currently thinking of Surrey, Bath, or UCL.

I was wondering if going to a uni and doing a degree that is IBMS accredited will increase my job prospects? Because unis like UCL/Bath seem to be much more research focused than the IBMS accredited degrees. Would it be really hard to get a job in research after doing a BSc? Or would a placement year help me find a job?

Simply speaking, is it easier to get a job in the NHS or in research?

Thanks in advance
    The NHS is harder to get in to. IMBS is only for NHS careers as Biomedical Scientist is a protected title for NHS workers.

ReputationRep:
    The NHS is harder to get in to. IMBS is only for NHS careers as Biomedical Scientist is a protected title for NHS workers.
    I always thought it would be easier to get a job in the NHS than research whoops... :P

ReputationRep:
    Centralisation means that each hospital has 1 lab max some don't have certain labs so it's harder to get into

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.