Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else applied to the new graduate entry medicine course run by St Andrews and Dundee?

Apparently we are supposed to get ScotGEM specific questionnaires at the end of October, haven’t heard anything about that yet though - just generic welcome emails from St Andrews uni.

Would be nice to hear from others who have applied (If anyone has?!)

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually very surprised by the lack of exposure the ScotGEM program is getting on here, perhaps all applicants don't use TSR? Either way, fellow applicant here.

I received the email about the questionnaire on Monday 30th, so maybe you have by now? It looks simple but has come at a time when I have a million things to do in my degree, whoops.

Where else are you applying? I'm hoping that due to the lack of responses on all things ScotGEM it won't be as competitive as I think!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ella_mai)
    I'm actually very surprised by the lack of exposure the ScotGEM program is getting on here, perhaps all applicants don't use TSR? Either way, fellow applicant here.

I received the email about the questionnaire on Monday 30th, so maybe you have by now? It looks simple but has come at a time when I have a million things to do in my degree, whoops.

Where else are you applying? I'm hoping that due to the lack of responses on all things ScotGEM it won't be as competitive as I think!
    Thanks for the reply! Yes I got the questionnaire, completing it seems more difficult than I first thought (I feel like I'm repeating myself with the last 2 questions, and its really difficult to stick to the character limit).

I've also applied to Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Glasgow undergrad courses - how about you?

I'm not sure how what to think about the lack of responses for ScotGEM, really hope it means that we have a good chance of being interviewed (especially as I think I probably did quite badly at the GAMSAT!!).

ReputationRep:
    I haven’t even started the questionnaire so you’re one step ahead of me! I have so much coursework to submit before then.. still, least interview dates are 13-15th of december! (so soon!)I’ve applied for Aberdeen undergrad too, but because i have a psychology degree couldn’t apply for glasgow or edinburgh, but I have chosen Dundee pre-med and GEM at Swansea. I’m really hoping the lack of popularity compared with other courses is a good sign that lots of people don’t know about the course yet and so it will be quieter (ai completely messed up my GAMSAT too due to non-science background)Do you think that GEM is a lot harder course-wise than standard entry?

ReputationRep:
    I haven’t even started the questionnaire so you’re one step ahead of me! I have so much coursework to submit before then.. still, least interview dates are 13-15th of december! (so soon!)I’ve applied for Aberdeen undergrad too, but because i have a psychology degree couldn’t apply for glasgow or edinburgh, but I have chosen Dundee pre-med and GEM at Swansea. I’m really hoping the lack of popularity compared with other courses is a good sign that lots of people don’t know about the course yet and so it will be quieter (ai completely messed up my GAMSAT too due to non-science background)Do you think that GEM is a lot harder course-wise than standard entry?
    That sucks about Glasgow and Edinburgh, are you a Scottish applicant? I've no idea about difficulty, but I guess learning basically the same thing in a shorter time makes it more difficult! So much respect for doing the GAMSAT without a science background - I found it SO difficult and have a science undergrad...

It's difficult being busy with coursework, but I'm actually kinda jealous because I have more time to be obsessing over my application haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grad.med.app)
    That sucks about Glasgow and Edinburgh, are you a Scottish applicant? I've no idea about difficulty, but I guess learning basically the same thing in a shorter time makes it more difficult! So much respect for doing the GAMSAT without a science background - I found it SO difficult and have a science undergrad...

It's difficult being busy with coursework, but I'm actually kinda jealous because I have more time to be obsessing over my application haha.
    Yeah i'm a Scottish applicant, which means it's a bit annoying as studying outside of Scotland is extortionate! Feeling more positive about Aberdeen though because i'm currently a student here haha. The GAMSAT was painful, did you sit it in September in Edinburgh too? And yeah i've heard GEM being referred to as teach yourself medicine, which should be interesting!

After Wednesday I have all this fun to look forward to, but at least it seems we will hear a response in late Nov/Dec which will put us out our misery haha. Getting into the ScotGEM would be the dream tbh

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i'm a Scottish applicant, which means it's a bit annoying as studying outside of Scotland is extortionate! Feeling more positive about Aberdeen though because i'm currently a student here haha. The GAMSAT was painful, did you sit it in September in Edinburgh too? And yeah i've heard GEM being referred to as teach yourself medicine, which should be interesting!

After Wednesday I have all this fun to look forward to, but at least it seems we will hear a response in late Nov/Dec which will put us out our misery haha. Getting into the ScotGEM would be the dream tbh
    Yes I sat it in Edinburgh in September, not keen to re-do that in a hurry! I definitely couldn't afford it in England, feeling very lucky to be Scottish right now. Yeah ScotGEM would be great, but with only 40 or so places I'm not holding my breath!!

ReputationRep:
    Yes I sat it in Edinburgh in September, not keen to re-do that in a hurry! I definitely couldn't afford it in England, feeling very lucky to be Scottish right now. Yeah ScotGEM would be great, but with only 40 or so places I'm not holding my breath!!
    Tbh I just hope we get our GAMSAT scores back soon. From what i’ve seen it looks like it should be mid to late November.

I also have no idea how they are going to factor in the questionnaire with their selection, I hope it makes up a good part of the criteria because it’s definitely going to be my strongest point!

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I just hope we get our GAMSAT scores back soon. From what i’ve seen it looks like it should be mid to late November.

I also have no idea how they are going to factor in the questionnaire with their selection, I hope it makes up a good part of the criteria because it’s definitely going to be my strongest point!
    I believe they have said that they will invite people to interview based on their GAMSAT score, and only use the questionnaire to inform the interview? I may be wrong though!

I agree, I just want to know how badly I've done in the GAMSAT so I can stop thinking about it

ReputationRep:
    I believe they have said that they will invite people to interview based on their GAMSAT score, and only use the questionnaire to inform the interview? I may be wrong though!

I agree, I just want to know how badly I've done in the GAMSAT so I can stop thinking about it
    That's what I am worried about, my GAMSAT score came back and it is pretty bad:/ I really need to start the questionnaire since it's due in a week!

How did your GAMSAT go?

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm a fellow ScotGEM applicant too - the GAMSAT was horrific and my degree is in Pharmacy! As the first year of a brand new course, I thought it would be highly sought after but I went to the open day at St Andrews and there was hardly anyone there.How low do you think they will set the threshold for interview considering this is the first year of having the GAMSAT in Scotland? My GAMSAT is really bad, haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nifera)
    Hey! I'm a fellow ScotGEM applicant too - the GAMSAT was horrific and my degree is in Pharmacy! As the first year of a brand new course, I thought it would be highly sought after but I went to the open day at St Andrews and there was hardly anyone there.How low do you think they will set the threshold for interview considering this is the first year of having the GAMSAT in Scotland? My GAMSAT is really bad, haha!
    Hey! Yeah even if you look at the views per thread for the ScotGEM in comparison to other Med courses (including English GEM), you can see it is much less popular! I'm also hoping this means there is less competition and the GAMSAT threshold is low, as I only got overall 50 in the September sitting.

I think the rural aspect of the course is putting people off, as 2 friends of mine also applying for Med intended to apply but didn't want to do a rural course/sit the GAMSAT.
    Hopefully having so many hoops to jump through (including the questionnaire) means there will be less competition.

Are you a Scottish applicant too?

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Yeah even if you look at the views per thread for the ScotGEM in comparison to other Med courses (including English GEM), you can see it is much less popular! I'm also hoping this means there is less competition and the GAMSAT threshold is low, as I only got overall 50 in the September sitting.

I think the rural aspect of the course is putting people off, as 2 friends of mine also applying for Med intended to apply but didn't want to do a rural course/sit the GAMSAT.
    Hopefully having so many hoops to jump through (including the questionnaire) means there will be less competition.

Are you a Scottish applicant too?
    I am indeed! Ive applied to undergrad courses too but my UKCAT is dreadful so I am not getting my hopes high for 2018 entry to be honest. Looking at the other threads though, there are a lot of people scoring so high in the GAMSAT but the majority seem to be for English GEM!
    I do hope there is less competition too as I only scored 49! I know a lot of people as well who were put off by the rural part but also because they think they have to become a GP with course. So hopefully less competition, fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    I am indeed! Ive applied to undergrad courses too but my UKCAT is dreadful so I am not getting my hopes high for 2018 entry to be honest. Looking at the other threads though, there are a lot of people scoring so high in the GAMSAT but the majority seem to be for English GEM!
    I do hope there is less competition too as I only scored 49! I know a lot of people as well who were put off by the rural part but also because they think they have to become a GP with course. So hopefully less competition, fingers crossed!
    Yeah my UKCAT is pretty poor too, and the only undergrad course I could apply for was Aberdeen as everywhere else in Scotland wants you to have a life science first degree, whereas i'm doing psychology. Although I am a student at Aberdeen now so hopefully that gives me some brownie points!

The good news is that, given the interview dates are the 13-15th of December, we should hopefully find out by the end of the month!

I also think a lot of people were put off by the GAMSAT, I know my 2 friends were which made me laugh because they both have waaay more biology and chemistry knowledge than me haha

ReputationRep:
    Yeah my UKCAT is pretty poor too, and the only undergrad course I could apply for was Aberdeen as everywhere else in Scotland wants you to have a life science first degree, whereas i'm doing psychology. Although I am a student at Aberdeen now so hopefully that gives me some brownie points!

The good news is that, given the interview dates are the 13-15th of December, we should hopefully find out by the end of the month!

I also think a lot of people were put off by the GAMSAT, I know my 2 friends were which made me laugh because they both have waaay more biology and chemistry knowledge than me haha
    Hopefully!I was speaking to a medic and she highly recommended Aberdeen so I have my fingers and toes crossed for you for both Aberdeen and ScotGEM!
    At the open day, they were saying that they hoped to give us at least 2 weeks notice so hopefully we hear back soon - I am guessing it won't be long after the questionnaire deadline...
    I showed it to my friends as well and they just when "why would you put yourself through that?!" haha!

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully!I was speaking to a medic and she highly recommended Aberdeen so I have my fingers and toes crossed for you for both Aberdeen and ScotGEM!
    At the open day, they were saying that they hoped to give us at least 2 weeks notice so hopefully we hear back soon - I am guessing it won't be long after the questionnaire deadline...
    I showed it to my friends as well and they just when "why would you put yourself through that?!" haha!
    Yeah I heard the same thing from English junior doctors when shadowing on wards, made me feel good about my choices hahaha. However, fingers and toes defo crossed for the ScotGEM since it includes free tuition and a bursary, my mum isn't very impressed with me wanting to do another degree financially haha!

The reply rate should be much more impressive than other undergraduate programs that can take up to Jan/Feb to send replies! Where else are you applying?

I had the exact same thing from my boyfriend, who had to listen to me complain about it for months hahaha. Did you sit the GAMSAT in Edin in September?

ReputationRep:
    The bursary is a definite bonus but my parents are the same! Worth it in the long term...
    I'm guessing they have a fewer applications to look at compared to other medical schools but they do ask for more so its balances out. I have applied for Dundee, Aberdeen and Glasgow also but Dundee and Glasgow are very UKCAT heavy on their scoring so I'm expecting rejections from them tbh! Where else have you applied to except for Aberdeen and ScotGEM?
    I did - were you there too? Seemed like there were loads of people but I heard people saying that there was only around 130-140 there?

ReputationRep:
    The bursary is a definite bonus but my parents are the same! Worth it in the long term...
    I'm guessing they have a fewer applications to look at compared to other medical schools but they do ask for more so its balances out. I have applied for Dundee, Aberdeen and Glasgow also but Dundee and Glasgow are very UKCAT heavy on their scoring so I'm expecting rejections from them tbh! Where else have you applied to except for Aberdeen and ScotGEM?
    I did - were you there too? Seemed like there were loads of people but I heard people saying that there was only around 130-140 there?
    The bursary is a definite bonus if we have to live mostly in St Andrews haha, it's sooo expensive there! Yeah, i'm so glad we will hear back within the month.

I applied for Swansea GEM as I have family there and could stay with them, however I am getting rejected as I needed at least 50 in Section 3 and got 45 Also applied to Dundee pre-med, but have heard some people got moved from that course to the 5yr one, which would be nice. My back up option is pharmacy at RGU, however I likely will just reapply for med next year if I don't get in.

Yes I was there too, you may have noticed me as the only person who seemed to finish section 3 within an hour and spent the next 2 procrastinating haha! I hadn't done chemistry since standard grade, so almost all the questions went over my head. However i'm doing courses of 1st year chemistry at uni alongside my 4th year courses to get into med, so if I had to resit I would be more knowledgable

ReputationRep:
    The bursary is a definite bonus if we have to live mostly in St Andrews haha, it's sooo expensive there! Yeah, i'm so glad we will hear back within the month.

I applied for Swansea GEM as I have family there and could stay with them, however I am getting rejected as I needed at least 50 in Section 3 and got 45 Also applied to Dundee pre-med, but have heard some people got moved from that course to the 5yr one, which would be nice. My back up option is pharmacy at RGU, however I likely will just reapply for med next year if I don't get in.

Yes I was there too, you may have noticed me as the only person who seemed to finish section 3 within an hour and spent the next 2 procrastinating haha! I hadn't done chemistry since standard grade, so almost all the questions went over my head. However i'm doing courses of 1st year chemistry at uni alongside my 4th year courses to get into med, so if I had to resit I would be more knowledgable
    Hopefully you get in medicine but if not, Pharmacy is a great degree and is very clinical - more than a lot of people know! I've loved studying it and if you are doing chemistry now and then go to pharmacy, it will give you such an advantage over everyone else due to the course being chemistry based (cause of drugs n' stuff)
    My section III score was around there as well as I've not really looked at chemistry since 2nd year of Uni really....
    I was so focused on how hard the questions were, I didn't notice anything hahaha!

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully you get in medicine but if not, Pharmacy is a great degree and is very clinical - more than a lot of people know! I've loved studying it and if you are doing chemistry now and then go to pharmacy, it will give you such an advantage over everyone else due to the course being chemistry based (cause of drugs n' stuff)
    My section III score was around there as well as I've not really looked at chemistry since 2nd year of Uni really....
    I was so focused on how hard the questions were, I didn't notice anything hahaha!
    Yeah pharmacy is my backup if I don't get into med, as I think I would still enjoy it. Do you know if you can get into pharmacy as a graduate? Because none of the pharmacy courses have any info on their websites.

The questions were impossible, even section 1 which I barely studied as I was way too complacent after doing English and Psychology for 2/3 years in uni! Although I barely studied for the exam in general, regretting that now

Also if only about 150 people sat GAMSAT in Edinburgh, I would say that would be the majority of applicants for ScotGEM, as English graduates wouldn't get funding on the course like they would at English GEM courses. So fingers crossed that theres only about 300 odd candidates which means a 1/2 chance at getting interview!

Also did you see the score distribution curve? I saw someone say that it includes Australian candidate scores too, and they are famously better at GAMSAT than us UK people...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.