Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A101 St Andrews/Dundee ScotGEM Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ella_mai)
    Yeah pharmacy is my backup if I don't get into med, as I think I would still enjoy it. Do you know if you can get into pharmacy as a graduate? Because none of the pharmacy courses have any info on their websites.

The questions were impossible, even section 1 which I barely studied as I was way too complacent after doing English and Psychology for 2/3 years in uni! Although I barely studied for the exam in general, regretting that now

Also if only about 150 people sat GAMSAT in Edinburgh, I would say that would be the majority of applicants for ScotGEM, as English graduates wouldn't get funding on the course like they would at English GEM courses. So fingers crossed that theres only about 300 odd candidates which means a 1/2 chance at getting interview!

Also did you see the score distribution curve? I saw someone say that it includes Australian candidate scores too, and they are famously better at GAMSAT than us UK people...
    That's what I thought about the curve too! But I do not know for sure, sorry
    Fingers crossed - we have no clue how everyone else got on who has applied for ScotGEM so we can only wait patiently I guess!
    It shows you how hard the questions were if you studied english/psychology for 2/3 years and you found the questions difficult!
    I am sure you can get into Pharmacy as a graduate as there are a few graduates in my year I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nifera)
    That's what I thought about the curve too! But I do not know for sure, sorry
    Fingers crossed - we have no clue how everyone else got on who has applied for ScotGEM so we can only wait patiently I guess!
    It shows you how hard the questions were if you studied english/psychology for 2/3 years and you found the questions difficult!
    I am sure you can get into Pharmacy as a graduate as there are a few graduates in my year I think
    I reckon that is how it is laid out, if so it is definitely in our favour! The few people i've spoken to who are applying for ScotGEM said they didn't perform as well as they had hoped too, so that makes sense.

Also I got an email earlier from the ScotGEM admissions people saying they were reviewing my application and were looking for my chemistry grades, which shows that they have started reviewing applications! Since the questionnaire doesn't factor into whether you get an interview (and might just be to weed out candidates) hopefully we should hear back shortly after!

ReputationRep:
    That's what I am worried about, my GAMSAT score came back and it is pretty bad:/ I really need to start the questionnaire since it's due in a week!

How did your GAMSAT go?
    My GASMAT went better than expected, I got a 60 overall, so fingers crossed it's good enough. I guess we won't know until we get invited (or not) to interview though! I think I've decided I don't want to sit it again either way no matter happens... far too expensive and traumatic!

Hey! I'm a fellow ScotGEM applicant too - the GAMSAT was horrific and my degree is in Pharmacy! As the first year of a brand new course, I thought it would be highly sought after but I went to the open day at St Andrews and there was hardly anyone there.How low do you think they will set the threshold for interview considering this is the first year of having the GAMSAT in Scotland? My GAMSAT is really bad, haha!
    Hey! So nice to hear from someone else who has applied. I also went to an open day at St Andrews where there were very few people, but I had gone to one in Dundee earlier in the year that had quite a few more people (As a wild guess I would say around 80 people maybe?). I was actually thinking the opposite, that people will be more sceptical of joining a new course in its first year, before any bumps have been ironed out, so if I am in with a chance any year it might be this one!

ReputationRep:
    Agreed - far too expensive and very traumatic! I have my fingers crossed for both of you! You’re gamsat is really good
    I had went to the open day in October and I would say there was a maximum of 8 people there
    That’s good thinking! I have a feeling next year will be more competitive as I think the new course will get more coverage once it begins 😂
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I feel like I would only sit the GAMSAT again if I do well in chemistry this year and move to Edinburgh! For me the worst part was spending about £40 on train tickets to Edi and having to pay £230 for a hotel room so I could be close to the testing centre, not including the price of the GAMSAT itself and all the testing materials!

Fingers and toes crossed for us all! I really should go to an open day oops...

ReputationRep:
    I feel like I would only sit the GAMSAT again if I do well in chemistry this year and move to Edinburgh! For me the worst part was spending about £40 on train tickets to Edi and having to pay £230 for a hotel room so I could be close to the testing centre, not including the price of the GAMSAT itself and all the testing materials!

Fingers and toes crossed for us all! I really should go to an open day oops...
    Wow, £230 for a hotel room?! I stayed in the "pod hostel" (I think it's called Code?) and paid about £30 for the night including breakfast! I had already spent faaar too much money on the exam.

Has anyone else submitted their questionnaire yet? It was so difficult to fit everything into 1000 characters, as it turns out it is 1000 characters including spaces - so I had to miss out a lot of what I had prepared

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grad.med.app)
    Wow, £230 for a hotel room?! I stayed in the "pod hostel" (I think it's called Code?) and paid about £30 for the night including breakfast! I had already spent faaar too much money on the exam.

Has anyone else submitted their questionnaire yet? It was so difficult to fit everything into 1000 characters, as it turns out it is 1000 characters including spaces - so I had to miss out a lot of what I had prepared
    Ahh yeah I saw that place, annoyingly I got paid late and so had to book my room about a week after the location was announced so there were no cheap rooms Although the place was very fancy and I got the full robe/slippers/pillow chocolate the night before the exam which helped me relax hahaha.

I'm currently in the process of writing my answers to the questionnaire before submitting them, due putting bullet points so I can fit everything in!

ReputationRep:
    I submitted mine of Friday! I tried to make them as detailed as I could - most are sitting at 980 characters
    I paid £90 for a room and it was just a walk down from haymarket station was very comfy

ReputationRep:
    did you both receive the email from Dundee about the interviews about when they will be released etc for both Dundee and ScotGEM?

ReputationRep:
    did you both receive the email from Dundee about the interviews about when they will be released etc for both Dundee and ScotGEM?
    I didn’t get it, but I didn’t apply to Dundee - what did it say?

ReputationRep:
    Interviews will be released soon, Dundee before ScotGEM and if you have an interview for both Dundee and ScotGEM, you will only have one interview day instead of attending two

ReputationRep:
    Interviews will be released soon, Dundee before ScotGEM and if you have an interview for both Dundee and ScotGEM, you will only have one interview day instead of attending two
    That's great, thanks! I can relax for a bit then until the Dundee interviews are released

ReputationRep:
    I really hope they send out replies this week, gives us a bit more time to prep for the interview! Also so I can stop checking my emails every 5 minutes...

ReputationRep:
    I really hope they send out replies this week, gives us a bit more time to prep for the interview! Also so I can stop checking my emails every 5 minutes...
    Me too! So nervous but excited. I sent back the questionnaire yesterday so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we hear good news this week.

ReputationRep:
    Same! Have to force myself to stop checking my emails constantly. I'm sure they'll come when we least expect it

ReputationRep:
    That’s Dundee’s rejections/interviewsout so scotgem won’t be far behind! ☺️

ReputationRep:
    Good Luck Everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everybody. I was keen on applying this year but the gamsat absolutely terrified me as I have 0 science background so i’ll be sitting it next year with hopefully at least a little bit of science knowledge!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, has anybody called/emailed to ask when they will send out interviews? I called to enquire yesterday but they just told me that they will send it out 'as soon as possible.' I was really hoping it would be before Monday, when we have the virtual information session. But I'm quite doubtful now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afullah)
    Hey, has anybody called/emailed to ask when they will send out interviews? I called to enquire yesterday but they just told me that they will send it out 'as soon as possible.' I was really hoping it would be before Monday, when we have the virtual information session. But I'm quite doubtful now.

Someone posted earlier that they would be after the Dundee invites/rejections so hopefully we'll hear soon! Wonder if we'll be able to see number of viewers on Monday's session?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.