Turn on thread page Beta

A101 St Andrews/Dundee ScotGEM watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zzbreaksalotzz)
    Heya!

Yes I'm applying from England and heard last week. I've never been to Scotland so will spend a few days in Edinburgh too to get a feel for different places I imagine you got an interview too, so congrats!
    Wow so next week will be a real adventure for you then! I didn’t think anybody would be applying for ScotGEM from England, what made you want to apply? Have you also applied to other GEM courses?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grad.med.app)
    Wow so next week will be a real adventure for you then! I didn’t think anybody would be applying for ScotGEM from England, what made you want to apply? Have you also applied to other GEM courses?
    Yes! Very excited! Are you from Scotland? I am half American, half Italian and came to London to do my Masters about 3 years ago--loved it and stayed! Have been working in health systems for about 10 years and feel it was time for a clinical degree (eeek!) I knew I wanted to stay in the UK as I <3 the NHS (hehe) and my partner is here/LOVES Scotland. St Andrews is a great school and there aren't many GEMs that take a non-science undergrad and the GAMSAT. I applied to St Andrews, Notts, SGUL, Swansea and SGUL Cyprus. What about you?

ReputationRep:
    Yes! Very excited! Are you from Scotland? I am half American, half Italian and came to London to do my Masters about 3 years ago--loved it and stayed! Have been working in health systems for about 10 years and feel it was time for a clinical degree (eeek!) I knew I wanted to stay in the UK as I <3 the NHS (hehe) and my partner is here/LOVES Scotland. St Andrews is a great school and there aren't many GEMs that take a non-science undergrad and the GAMSAT. I applied to St Andrews, Notts, SGUL, Swansea and SGUL Cyprus. What about you?
    Your story is so much more exciting than mine! I've worked in the NHS since my undergrad, which I did in Scotland - only applying to Scottish unis (because funding for us is waaay better in Scotland) so this is the only GAMSAT uni I've applied for (also applied for Glasgow, Aberdeen and Edinburgh). How is your application going for the other unis? Have you got any more interviews?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ella_mai)
    I'm actually very surprised by the lack of exposure the ScotGEM program is getting on here, perhaps all applicants don't use TSR? Either way, fellow applicant here.

I received the email about the questionnaire on Monday 30th, so maybe you have by now? It looks simple but has come at a time when I have a million things to do in my degree, whoops.

Where else are you applying? I'm hoping that due to the lack of responses on all things ScotGEM it won't be as competitive as I think!
    Thanks for the reply! Yes I got the questionnaire, completing it seems more difficult than I first thought (I feel like I'm repeating myself with the last 2 questions, and its really difficult to stick to the character limit).

I've also applied to Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Glasgow undergrad courses - how about you?

I'm not sure how what to think about the lack of responses for ScotGEM, really hope it means that we have a good chance of being interviewed (especially as I think I probably did quite badly at the GAMSAT!!).
    I mean there are only 40 places and I think it's only available to Scottish student? (wait im not sure either that or 'home' students)

ReputationRep:
    Your story is so much more exciting than mine! I've worked in the NHS since my undergrad, which I did in Scotland - only applying to Scottish unis (because funding for us is waaay better in Scotland) so this is the only GAMSAT uni I've applied for (also applied for Glasgow, Aberdeen and Edinburgh). How is your application going for the other unis? Have you got any more interviews?
    Oh how exciting to have been in the NHS for some years What do you do and why a clinical degree now?

Apps are going alright the waiting realllllly kills me. Interviews at Swansea and St Andrews, offer at St George's Cyprus (but it's super expensive!!!!) and waiting on Notts/SGUL. My partner would prefer to not uproot us, so he is rooting SGUL, I like them all How bout you?

Interview prep is going extra slow on my part, I am awkward and ethics questions i seem to talk around in circles hahaah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuba123)
    I mean there are only 40 places and I think it's only available to Scottish student? (wait im not sure either that or 'home' students)
    Nah it's available to all students apart from international/overseas students for some reason, and I reckon it will be like all med schools in Scotland where they have to let in a certain no. of Scottish/RUK/EU students.

Did you apply too?

ReputationRep:
    Not really related to this thread but what was your UKCAT score for entrance to Aberdeen? I've applied there too and am starting to think it's probs the only place i'll maybe get interviewed for haha

ReputationRep:
    Oh how exciting to have been in the NHS for some years What do you do and why a clinical degree now?

Apps are going alright the waiting realllllly kills me. Interviews at Swansea and St Andrews, offer at St George's Cyprus (but it's super expensive!!!!) and waiting on Notts/SGUL. My partner would prefer to not uproot us, so he is rooting SGUL, I like them all How bout you?

Interview prep is going extra slow on my part, I am awkward and ethics questions i seem to talk around in circles hahaah
    Yeah the waiting is the worst! That’s great that you have an offer though, even if it is your last choice it must feel a little bit more relaxed to know you have that

ScotGEM is definitely my first choice mainly for funding, but I really liked all of the medical schools I visited, probably Aberdeen would be my second choice if I was in a position to choose (I can dream!!) - I also have an interview for Glasgow but waiting on the others. Ugh interview prep is so difficult, I think it’s a fear of the unknown - also feel totally stupid trying to speak answers out loud...

I work as a support worker in a department where there isn’t really any scope for development at the moment. I could use my degree (Biomed) to get a lab job, but when I was in the lab I really missed interaction with patients although I loved the science - so here I am applying for medicine!

Not really related to this thread but what was your UKCAT score for entrance to Aberdeen? I've applied there too and am starting to think it's probs the only place i'll maybe get interviewed for haha
    I seemed to get really lucky with my questions for UKCAT and got an average of 790! I’m not sure if I remember how Aberdeen use UKCAT. How did you do? Have you heard back from anywhere else yet?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the waiting is the worst! That’s great that you have an offer though, even if it is your last choice it must feel a little bit more relaxed to know you have that

ScotGEM is definitely my first choice mainly for funding, but I really liked all of the medical schools I visited, probably Aberdeen would be my second choice if I was in a position to choose (I can dream!!) - I also have an interview for Glasgow but waiting on the others. Ugh interview prep is so difficult, I think it’s a fear of the unknown - also feel totally stupid trying to speak answers out loud...

I work as a support worker in a department where there isn’t really any scope for development at the moment. I could use my degree (Biomed) to get a lab job, but when I was in the lab I really missed interaction with patients although I loved the science - so here I am applying for medicine!

I seemed to get really lucky with my questions for UKCAT and got an average of 790! I’m not sure if I remember how Aberdeen use UKCAT. How did you do? Have you heard back from anywhere else yet?
    Ohhh that is such a good UKCAT, you should be proud! I got 650 average, which i'm still fairly proud of considering I got 540 in abstract reasoning or something. Aberdeen use UKCAT as 20% of your overall score, then its 30% academics and 50% interview.

I applied for Aberdeen, ScotGEM, Swansea GEM and Dundee pre-med, already been rejected from Swansea and Dundee and rejection from ScotGEM is looking likely with my GAMSAT of 50. It is a pain though because i'm limited in what universities I can apply for in Scotland, as Glasgow and Dundee look for a biomed degree, and I dont meet the S5 requirements for Edi and ofc England is out the question with the cost of tuition!

On the plus side I will be starting a SHCSW job in NHS Grampian next month, so theres that hahaha!

ReputationRep:
    no but im looking to apply in 2019 for 2020 entry, sitting the GAMSAT in 2018 though, just interested in how they select the first cohort etc. I'm in my 2nd year at uni studying immunology, never to early to start preparing right? lol
    Nah it's available to all students apart from international/overseas students for some reason, and I reckon it will be like all med schools in Scotland where they have to let in a certain no. of Scottish/RUK/EU students.

Did you apply too?

ReputationRep:
    no but im looking to apply in 2019 for 2020 entry, sitting the GAMSAT in 2018 though, just interested in how they select the first cohort etc. I'm in my 2nd year at uni studying immunology, never to early to start preparing right? lol
    If you're studying immunology you already have a slight advantage, I sat the GAMSAT after not having done any sciences for 4+ years hahaha! I'm interested to see what the applicant stats are for this year of entry too, I hope they post them online or something.

Are you a scottish or RUK applicant?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys can anyone give me an idea as to what the GAMSAT cut off was for the scotgem courses??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueBro97)
    Hi guys can anyone give me an idea as to what the GAMSAT cut off was for the scotgem courses??
    I think they basically rank all suitable applications in that cycle by GAMSAT score and interview the top 120 or so - they said they might reject some if they are really low based on the experiences of other GAMSAT unis but there’s not really a cut off. All I can say is that I got an interview and my GAMSAT is 60 overall, but no idea if I’m near the bottom or the top of the GAMSAT ranks!!

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh that is such a good UKCAT, you should be proud! I got 650 average, which i'm still fairly proud of considering I got 540 in abstract reasoning or something. Aberdeen use UKCAT as 20% of your overall score, then its 30% academics and 50% interview.

I applied for Aberdeen, ScotGEM, Swansea GEM and Dundee pre-med, already been rejected from Swansea and Dundee and rejection from ScotGEM is looking likely with my GAMSAT of 50. It is a pain though because i'm limited in what universities I can apply for in Scotland, as Glasgow and Dundee look for a biomed degree, and I dont meet the S5 requirements for Edi and ofc England is out the question with the cost of tuition!

On the plus side I will be starting a SHCSW job in NHS Grampian next month, so theres that hahaha!
    Would you consider doing higher chemistry this next year if you don’t get in? I thought I might have to even though I have a biomed degree because I didn’t do higher (luckily they all decided I have enough chemistry in my undergrad!). Good luck with your new job - are you not also still doing your undergrad? Seems like a busy time for you!

ReputationRep:
    Would you consider doing higher chemistry this next year if you don’t get in? I thought I might have to even though I have a biomed degree because I didn’t do higher (luckily they all decided I have enough chemistry in my undergrad!). Good luck with your new job - are you not also still doing your undergrad? Seems like a busy time for you!
    So i'm currently doing 30 credits of 1st year Chemistry for the Biosciences (very bizarre when i'm stressing about my thesis), but I wasn't sure whether Glasgow would consider this or if they strictly required Higher Chemistry! I think if I was to reapply I would try and do Human Biology or Chemistry at college, because I have higher Human but its a C grade (and nearly 4 years old haha). That should raise my chances, although hopefully it won't come to that!

Yeah I am but psychology in 4th year is quite low contact hours, this semester I ended up only having one a week! So I do most of my revision at the weekend, but to be honest the courses aren't thaat difficult.

I just hope Aberdeen get back to us soon!

ReputationRep:
    If you're studying immunology you already have a slight advantage, I sat the GAMSAT after not having done any sciences for 4+ years hahaha! I'm interested to see what the applicant stats are for this year of entry too, I hope they post them online or something.

Are you a scottish or RUK applicant?
    Woahhhhh, I've still to look into past papers and stuff like that, totally gubbed for the physics type stuff loool

Scottish x

Yeah me too, hopefully the cut off point is decent lol

ReputationRep:
    Anyone feeling confident for interview?

ReputationRep:
    Woahhhhh, I've still to look into past papers and stuff like that, totally gubbed for the physics type stuff loool

Scottish x

Yeah me too, hopefully the cut off point is decent lol

Luckily physics only makes up 20% of Section 3, so if you learn the key topics you might still be able to pick up a few marks. If you want to study for GAMSAT, I seriously recommend the Griffiths Gamsat review, its not got any actual study help but is instead a strategy guide that was so so helpful!

I think i’ve missed the ball on getting into scotgem now because my GAMSAT was only 50 overall (section 3 really dragged me down), so holding on to maybe getting an interview at Aberdeen! I’m currently a 4th year student here so hoping that wins me brownie points haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indy108)
    Anyone feeling confident for interview?
    Not even remotely :/ I'm more worried that my travel arrangements might get cancelled given this recent weather... How about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zehrbear)
    Not even remotely :/ I'm more worried that my travel arrangements might get cancelled given this recent weather... How about you?
    Ahh me too, I've got a 6hour train journey the day before, hopefully it won't carry on snowing like this... in terms of the interview I'm seriously underprepared, just hoping the stations are more to do with discussing things rather than just talking for 7 minutes straight

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 7, 2018

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.